Replace toilet water supply line attached to CPVC pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Hay Sean

Reaction score
Hello -

I am trying to replace the rigid water supply line with a flexible line. However, the rigid line is connected to a shut off valve which is in turn connected to a CPVC pipe. The bottom metal nut is stuck and won’t turn. I am trying not to force it as the CPVC pipe may break. I have applied wd40 to the nut multiple times but still it won’t turn with a wrench. Any advise on how I can remove it? If nothing works out, how much a plumber would take to remove those nuts? I am based out of Milton Ontario.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's a plastic pipe out of the wall, I would be very careful. CPVC gets very brittle over time. Sometimes we wind up cutting behind the nut and installing a stop there. At times we need to cut drywall. A plumber may be strong enough to remove the nut and use the back nut with a new stop that allows a thread on supply line.
If the back nut is cut off, other options are a Sharkbite type fitting, or a glue on stop.

shutoff_corragated_replace.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
The bottom metal nut is stuck and won’t turn. I am trying not to force it as the CPVC pipe may break.
I think you need to apply your torque against the valve body, and not against the pipe in the wall. That could be done by putting one wrench on the valve body, if it accepts that, or use a locking pliers. Then for the nut around the chrome plated copper supply line, produce force between the two tools. That should minimize the stress to the pipe in the wall.

Replacing a solid supply line is not your end objective, is it? Those look nice and work well. I suspect you are wanting to replace something else, and the solid line is an obstacle somehow. Once you get the nut loose, I think you may have to cut that tube, because the compressed ferrule will probably keep the tube from retracting into the valve.

I have never put in a solid supply, but after researching, I am hoping to try it some day. I made this after searching: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?resources/non-flex-copper-supply-riser.23/

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks