Repairing storm water clay pipe outlet

Users who are viewing this thread

Whereismyhat

Reaction score
So I'm on a property that has a ~ 14" clay pipe running through it that drains storm water run off from the ditch from across the adjacent street. There's a 8 foot deep concrete catch basin in between the long run, but there's no damage to anything. Everything is in good working order and in good condition. It runs downhill to the back of the property and creates a small creek.

I've had it scoped and there is no physical damage to the pipe. However, the last two sections of clay pipe which are under a concrete cap have been washed out. The previous property owner didn't put much forethought into future proofing, as the concrete cap just abruptly ended along with exposing the butt of the last clay pipe. After years and years of wear, the two sections of clay pipe sitting under the concrete cap seemed to have been crushed by the weight and just washed out. Additional rain has eroded some of the soil, such that there's a 3" band exposing the lip of the clay pipe tile before the concrete cap. I'm worried that if I leave this, the damage will work its way up, starting from the endmost clay pipe section.

Does anyone have an suggestions on how I might go about repairing this? Is there a way to do it without having to smash up and repour concrete?

Attachments

• claystormpipe.png
    claystormpipe.png
    90.7 KB · Views: 194

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
What is the purpose of the concrete catch basin? Use it to hold water for slower draining or as a cistern for irrigation? Is it possible to dig down to the clay pipe where is it is broken and reroute it around the catch basin?

Whereismyhat

Reaction score
The concrete catch basin is to hold water for slower draining. Even in heavy rains, it's never been above 30% full, but I can't touch the catch basin because of drainage water rights and the fact that it helps ease drainage for the road managed by the county

The pipe comes from the ditch across the street into the catch basin (running under the street), then runs the length of my property out the back. Sorry if I wasn't clear about how the pipe is layed out. I made an updated doodle to show what I mean.

Attachments

• claystormpipe2.png
    claystormpipe2.png
    78.2 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've worked on storm water systems for a couple years and your wording/description makes no sense to me.
Take some pictures of the whole situation and post them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks