New well static water level 6" above ground level in casing

Users who are viewing this thread

Showme

Reaction score
We're building a new house here in southeast Missouri that's located on a pine ridge that's the end of a cascading slope from a nearby mountain. We knew when we bought the property (43 acres) that there were a lot of seeps and spots where surface puddles seemed to last longer than other spots. When we talked to the neighbor about a quarter mile away, he said his well was at 600', and another neighbor down from him was 630'. Knowing that a lot of this area lies over granite, we were sweating the cost of drilling through 600' of the hard stuff.

We had a local driller come out and check the place we needed the well. He "witched" the area, and marked about 5 places, but showed me one that he said was stronger than the rest, and let me sample what he was feeling with the stick. It literally skinned my palms where i was holding it. I said that's the one, and he came back a few days later with his rig and helper and started to drill.

A few days later he called me and asked me if i could come down to the site. He needed to show me something, he said. I was already on my way there from home (a 40 minute drive), and asked him if this was bad news? He said no, but i needed to come.

When i got there, water was gushing out of the trough he had set up to measure the output. I asked him if that was water he was pumping in, or is that from the well? He said there wasn't any water being pumped in, and he told me he couldn't even measure it, it was coming out so fast. He guessed it was 120gpm, but said he was going to document it at 80 because he couldn't verify it. When he put the gallon container he used to time it with, it was full in less than a second.

I asked how deep? He said they hit water at 175' and couldn't drill any farther than 180' because of back pressure. I was amazed. And overjoyed. $12 per foot normal, and $14 per foot when they encounter granite. He said it was 10' of soil followed by sandstone, granite, flint then more granite.

This all leads to my question- We are now ready to install our pump (Grundfoss SQFlex 6), and it's time to drill the hole and install the pitless adapter, which will sit initially at 2' below ground level, and will have some added when we build our earth home (underground, except for the south face), which will have a back slope running towards the well head. The well head will be surrounded by concrete pipe or a wall.

Anyway, as things are now, the pitless adapter will be about 2 1/2' below the static line. First, what is the reason for the water level being this high? I've heard talk of artesian springs causing this, which i would say is a good thing. Is there something else that might allow this to happen?

Secondly, what's going to (probably) happen when i open up the hole for the adapter? Will it just drain out what's above the hole, or am i looking at a running stream into my work hole? If this is the case, I'll need to dig a ditch to the downslope to let it out. I plan on trenching the path to the house, then on to the garden spot for a hydrant there anyway, which are both down hill from the well head, but I'd like to know now if it may keep coming out until i get the adapter in and the hydrant that will be next to the well head installed. If there's a good possibility it will continue to come up and out of the well, I'll need to trench it now instead of when i'm ready to build the house.

Thanks for any and all comments and ideas on this. I've done a lot of searching but haven't found anything on this "good" problem of having water in the casing 6" above ground level. Lee

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
You may be able to put an inflatable ball below the drill spot. Cherne makes them.

Make sure you get below the frost line for the path. I am sure your well guy knows to leave the casing plenty high. Some artesian wells have a lot more head than you have. They need a waterproof well cap.

I would consider a flow inducer sleeve for your SQflex. See https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/franklin-c1-cistern-pump-mated-with-csv.95826/ #18 for suggested pvc pipe to make the flow inducer for a 3 inch pump.

I am not a pro.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
First, what is the reason for the water level being this high?
It is called a flowing artesian well.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yes that water will keep coming when you drill the hole for the pitless. Plug it off with an inflatable packer, which should work as long as the well pressure isn't too high.

Showme

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, folks! All of it good information that I can use. Reach4, thanks for the ball tip. Seems they have them at the local Menard's for around $100. For that, I wish I could just stick a kids basketball down there and inflate it, but whatever it takes to get this done. I checked the link you sent, but didn't get far enough into it to see how it related to me. I'll go back right now and check it out. Not sure what a "well inducer" is. My pitless adapter will be in the 6" casing, and 24" below ground level. The frost line here is 16-18", and the line will get deeper as soon as it leaves the hydrant connection at the well, not to mention the additional soil that will be added to the sides (and roof) of the house.

LLigetfa-thank you for that link and info. Funny, ever since I found Reader's Digest's "Back To Basic's" book back in the mid-80's, I've drooled over the paragraphs that told of artesian wells and springs, thinking it would be great to luck into one of those when we finally built our home in the woods. I would call that an answered prayer.

Carey, thanks for that info. I've got a 3'x5' pit about 2 1/2' deep dug for the pitless install that I've been keeping covered with pallets and plastic to keep the rain out. Filling it up when drilling the connection hole doesn't sound fun. Or comfortable. So with your information and the ball seal, I should be able to keep it dry and maybe even use the shop vac to get the shavings out before I pull the ball. Thankfully, it's only about 40" from top of casing to the pitless adapter hole point.
IMG_0029.jpgIMG_0028.jpg
The white light in the second pic is my headlamp but the pitless can be seen just under it to the lower right. Looked clearer when I took it.

The casing stands about 17" above ground level, and though the static water line varies a bit at times, it's never been close to the top of the casing. I have a Campbell cast iron cap with a brass screen vent, so I guess if it were to ever rise that much, there's a pressure relief there.

Thanks again, everybody, this really helps and makes me feel better about advancing. I need to check the well inducer subject out and learn a little more. Thank you. Lee Butcher

Showme

Reaction score
So, by flow inducer sleeve, you're talking about a pvc pump screen like this one? https://www.aquascience.net/campbel...r-submersible-pump-protection-for-1-well-pipe If so, I have one of these ready to install when I put in the pump in the next few days. I hope this is what you're speaking of. We have sandstone for the first 65', so I'm trying to check all boxes. Also going to blow out the sediment before I install. The well was drilled and capped 2 years ago, and I tried to plumb it's depth with a stainless 1 1/4" pipe, 2" long on a twine from a brand new ball. My wife had wrapped 15' of unused twine on the ball without tying it to the "new" line. That pipe weight and string went right to the bottom. I finally bought a stainless weighted treble hook from Forestry Suppliers, and on the 4th attempt at the 180' bottom, hooked the line and pulled it up. But I could feel what felt like at least 4-6" of sediment on the bottom as I turned the hook (or so it seems). So I want to blow as much of that out before I even start to install the pump and sleeve. But first I need to trench a drain out of the hole, then blow the sediment out, then install the pump, hydrant and storage tank. The connection to the house and garden hydrant will come later.

Let me know if this is what you were talking about. Lee

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks