Repairing lead bend closet flange.

Users who are viewing this thread

TomBuildsStuff

Reaction score
Website
tombuildsstuff.blogspot.com
I want to replace a toilet in an older home and am anticipating that the closet flange will need to be repaired/replaced. I'm a DIY'er with a lot of experience. I have replaced a different toilet in the home twice, the first time a few years ago replacing the brass ring around the flange and peening the lead back down. I recently replaced that toilet again and the original repair was still fine.

The next toilet I have access from underneath in the basement. There appear to be no issues with the lead bend as far as holes or leaking. I was still considering having the lead bend removed and replacing it with pvc. I've read many of the threads on the subject here but still have some questions (reassurance).

1) Should I just keep things simple and replace the brass closet flange, peen the lead down and use a wax ring with a horn considering there's no damage to the lead bend or is there a good reason to make more work for myself? No leaks in current setup.

2) Instead of replacing the brass ring completely, are any of the stainless steel repair flanges that go over the top of existing rings appropriate? Are there any other repair options I'm not aware of?

3) Is cutting the lead bend above the brass flange and using a fernco coupler a decent solution? Any issues? Contacted a local plumber (NJ/NYC area) who gave me a rough quote of around $600 to do it that way and doesn't include price of toilet. Is that price reasonable? It's a bit outside what I was planning and honestly, something I feel comfortable doing myself.

4) Ideally I'd like to drill out the lead and oakum, insert a donut and new PVC. I was hoping to find a plumber that could do that but after finding out how much the one guy wanted to just cut the lead that's probably not going to be in my budget either. Is this something an experienced DIY'er can handle? I've done a decent amount of plumbing but nothing with cast iron waste pipes. The instructions I found on here seem like I can do it but wondering if there's any gotcha's I need to be concerned about.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We often install toilets using the homeowners lead bends. Most of the time that works fine.
There are times when a bend needs a repair or replacement. When I replace, I like to drill out the lead, pull the bend out and start over. I do see that many plumbers cut and use a rubber coupling. I've never done that, but I have seen them working.
The main problems with lead, or cracking at the floor, and someone putting a closet auger though them.
Replacing the way I have shown in the pictures is doable, but also not easy. It takes a bit of strength and patience.

replace_lead_bend.jpg

Last edited:

TomBuildsStuff

Reaction score
Website
Thanks. I think I was over complicating things because I hate cleaning up the wax ring and wanted to avoid doing that twice.

I'm just going to get an Oatley 43551 brass flange to replace the old one. Since the drain is exposed in the basement I can keep an eye on it if there are any problems.

Only other issue with replacement is the old toilet has 2 extra bolts in the front of the base in addition to the 2 that are on the flange. Should just be able to remove them according to this https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/4-bolt-toilet.33409/

TomBuildsStuff

Reaction score
Website
One thing that I'm still curious about... Provided the original brass flange is secured to the floor well but just broken around the bolt. Will the repair flanges that go over top of existing flanges be a good/easier choice? Something like the Lasco 33-3736, Suix Chef 886-MR, Mossbay 886-MRM?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks