Removing ice maker

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by DeniseB, Mar 26, 2020.

1. DeniseB

DeniseB New Member

Please talk to me like the complete novice that I am.

I turned the refrigerator ice maker off years ago and don't remember if I shut the water off or not. Now I want to remove the whole thing to make more room in the freezer.

1) Attached photo is what the shut off valve looks like. What is this kind of valve called, and how is it turned off and on? Is it off now?

2) Once the water is shut off, is there any trouble I can get into disconnecting the line and removing the ice maker?
    ice maker shut off valve.jpg
    Thanks.

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    That valve looks to be in the off position. The supply line unthreads counter clockwise.
    When it's on, the lever is in line with the output.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    You can remove the ice maker without disconnecting the water line, if you want to. Then you can reinstall the icemaker sometime if you need it.