Remove valve handle before soldering

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Is it fine if I remove the valve handle when I have the torch out and I am soldering the valve's joint.
Before I screwed the handle back on I gave the packing nut a firm tighten.
Is this all fine to do? Just seems like common sense but I question if my sense is common?
I did not want to melt the grip on the handle so just took it off super easy.
For whatever reason, I rarely see anyone do this, maybe just an extra step? Not sure, what do you think?

Reaction score
Take the valve stem out. It has a rubber washer. If you're talking about a ball valve open it.
I can look into how to take the stem out, never tried that before? Apollo website shows this entire solder process and never once indicates you need to take the valve stem out in their recommended install when sweating the valve. Your suggestion makes since and I will look into this. Thank you. AS of now I just wrapped a wet rag around the valve stem but I can look into learning how to remove the stem. Thank you.

Bannerman

Reaction score
You previously mentioned about tightening down the packing nut. Removal of the stem typically involves loosening and removing the packing nut and then opening the valve until the stem unthreads from the valve body.

A full bore ball valve will restrict flow less than a globe valve. A ball valve will not utilize a packing nut and they will usually remain fully assembled during installation.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks