Remote dishwasher installation

Users who are viewing this thread

pdklein88

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking for advice on how to install my dishwasher. Due to the layout of my kitchen, I am unable to install it next to the sink. Therefore, I am wondering if the attached image would be an acceptable way to install the waste water plumbing?

I would create a high-loop behind the dishwasher, run that down through the floor to a P-Trap, and over (sloped) about 10 feet to connect into the existing sewer line with a "T".

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• dishwasher.png
    dishwasher.png
    41.9 KB · Views: 522

pdklein88

Reaction score
This would be the view from above, assuming you could see through the floor.

Attachments

• Above view.png
    Above view.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 455

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you give it its own trap, that trap needs to be vented. What I did with mine is to run a drain line underneath the cabinets and then came up into the sink base to the garbage disposer. Some places require an air gap (safer way anywhere). Hard piping it to the drain system has the potential, if there's a blockage, to get sewage into the DW, and you might not notice once it drained, leaving you with a very unsanitary situation.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have to follow your city building code. Your code will specify if you need an air gap or if you can use a high loop. DWs have a built in high loops (on the side), but you may need a high loop under the sink.

I can only tell you that in my city an air gap is required, and in that case no separate dish washer trap and vent is needed. The DW waste goes to the air gap, then into the garbage disposer and the trapped/vented drain under the sink, OR directly into the trapped/vented drain under the sink (if you don't have a garbage disposer).
The DW can be 10 feet away from the sink. You will have to find a long enough waste hose as DWs come with short waste hoses.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks