Remodeling Rash! Skin Irritant (Dermatitis )

Users who are viewing this thread

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Over the weekend, my girlfriend helped out with the remodeling of my kitchen. On Saturday night she had some little red dots on her arms, and Sunday they were bumps. :( She helped Friday night, Saturday and Sunday. Tonight they look like Poison Ivy. :eek: I've told her to go to the Doctor, and she says she will tomorrow,so we'll see....

My house was built in 1923 and is primarily old growth Douglas Fir--inside and out. There is some oak in the house, but she wasn't exposed to that over the weekend. She is allergic to oak when it blooms in the spring.

We were taking up a wood floor and cutting a lot of joists as well to install a beam--SYP. We put down some Plywood as well. When we tore the porch off the back of the house, she got some red dots on her arms as well. This was in April. They were gone within a day. We attributed it to the lead paint that was used because she has a nickel allergy as well. No lead paint was enountered this weekend.

I read online about wood dust causing rashes. Is this common? :confused:

My house was treated for termites in 1979 -- could be that chlordane :mad: was used. We removed some previously termite infested wood both this past weekend and when we removed the porch.

We've worn dust masks and safety glasses anytime we're kicking up a lot of dust.

Any ideas? Anyone in the plumbing or construction industry ever get skin rashed from wood or chemicals? I figure that oral steroids will probably get her fixed up... we'll see.

Thx
Jason

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Contact dermititis is from contact, not inhalation...sawdust could cause problems if she was allergic to it. Long sleeves might have helped. See what the doctor says...let us know.

Lakee911

Reaction score
The doctor actually didn't know. He prescribed a broad spectrum antibiotic and a steriod. She had later developed some little bumps on her chest that have all but cleared up. Her arms still aren't better, but I think she's been scratching so that really doesn't help things. If it's not gone in a few days, I think she'll go back for a skin biopsy. :( Poor girlfriend.

Jason

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
get some dandruff shampoo....

their are a couple of really great shampoos
that will clear up all sorts of skin ailments...

I have one that I cant remember what it is
right now, I will post it later...

it goes after exema, psorysisos , dandruff, ect.......

just go to the drug store and look for something

that cures everything and it will probably settle things down
permanently..

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Lakee911 said:
The doctor actually didn't know. He prescribed a broad spectrum antibiotic and a steriod. She had later developed some little bumps on her chest that have all but cleared up. Her arms still aren't better, but I think she's been scratching so that really doesn't help things. If it's not gone in a few days, I think she'll go back for a skin biopsy. :( Poor girlfriend.

Jason

I always have a bottle of prednisone (steroid) for a short term quick fix until inflammation runs it's course. Works like a charm. (gout in my case) good luck...

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
"there are a couple of really great shampoos that will clear up all sorts of skin ailments..."

My wife sent me out for Fels Naphtha soap when she recently had poison ivy. That is one from the '40s. It looks like the yellow/brown soap that my mother made during the war.

Fiberglass insulation can be very irritating. And in old houses they used a similar insulation called "Rock wool".

Lakee911

Reaction score
Mike50 said:
I always have a bottle of prednisone (steroid) for a short term quick fix until inflammation runs it's course. Works like a charm. (gout in my case) good luck...

I believe that's what was prescribed, and it didn't touch it. Seemed to be getting worse last night, so I think it's back to Dr. I'll keep you updated.

Lakee911

Reaction score
Bob NH said:
"there are a couple of really great shampoos that will clear up all sorts of skin ailments..."

My wife sent me out for Fels Naphtha soap when she recently had poison ivy. That is one from the '40s. It looks like the yellow/brown soap that my mother made during the war.

Fiberglass insulation can be very irritating. And in old houses they used a similar insulation called "Rock wool".

We'll check out that soap. We currently both use Dove which is pretty mild.

These bumps didn't occur when we were insulating (weekend before outbreak) and she had long sleeves on too. We didn't encounter any insulation in the house until we put it in, so nothing old and questionable....

Thx
Jason

Lakee911

Reaction score
Forgot to update this, sorry.

Girlfriend went back to the Doc--different one this time. He gave her higher dose of prednisone and some steroid cream to put on. The bumps have all but gone away now, so that's working.

Funny thing is, I got a few bumps/rash now! I think it might have been from my wetsuit from SCUBA diving this past weekend though--put her cream stuff on and its going away too.

Jason

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks