Remodeling my bathroom

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by omahan, Mar 21, 2009.

  1. omahan

    omahan New Member

    Mar 21, 2009
    I'm remodeling my bathroom and would like a new faucet, spout, overflow and drain. Can I replace the visible parts without getting into the hidden parts? I have a 1975 era single handle faucet. It turns on by turning clockwise. This increases both the flow and the temp. They can't be controlled separately. The Faucet also has a lever to switch between the spout and shower but no shower head was ever installed. The drain control is part of the overflow rather than being on the spout. What are my options?
  2. jimbo

    jimbo Plumber

    Aug 31, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    The spout, and the drain flange and the overflow plate with trip lever....this is standard stuff. You need to get the old ones out, because there are some options on thread diam, etc. But you will be able to replace all of these in almost any finish you choose.

    The handle and trim plate on the valve....these are NOT generic. You must get pieces specifically for your brand and model of valve. If it is a major, like Moen, Delta, PricePfister....there will be parts available, and you will probably have some options on style and finish. The less common the brand, the more your choices diminish, possibly to ZERO.!

    Post some pics and let us have a look.
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. omahan

    omahan New Member

    Mar 21, 2009
    I was going to take some photos and found that my batteries are dead. I will try to post some tomorrow.

    If I am not able to just replace the visible portion of the faucet I assume that means I will have to replace the vales in the wall. Can that normally be done with out expanding the hole that is there now? If I have to hire a plumber how big of a labor bill should I expect? Would it be just as easy then to change to a two handle model? I will be re-tiling so that is not a huge thing.
  5. hj

    hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

    Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

    Your questions are disturbing since they imply that you are not up to speed on what you are doing. The drain control is ALWAYS either on the overflow or the tub outlet, NEVER on the spout. The make and model valve determines whether you can just replace the visible portions. Turning on by rotating clockwise is unusual, since anticlockwise is the common way to open a valve, but some valves, such as Kohler, do operate that way.
Similar Threads: Remodeling bathroom
Forum Title Date
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Remodeling Bathroom Aug 7, 2016
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice remodeling bathroom and have some questions Apr 22, 2011
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Remodeling bathroom - new closet flange to cast iron pipe Dec 29, 2009
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Remodeling Bathroom: Need advice with plumbing/venting Aug 29, 2009
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Remodeling a bathroom that was poorly done; venting question May 7, 2008

Share This Page