Reducing Drain Lines Before P Trap

Users who are viewing this thread

AndrewK

Reaction score
This may seem like a crazy question. Is it ok to reduce a drain line BEFORE the p-trap? for example, a shower has a 2" Drain that is reduced down to a 1.5" pipe and then goes into a 1.5" p-trap where it continues until the building drain.

I mean a shower or sink is almost like they're being reduced from the size of the basin to the drainpipe that leads to the p-trap already, why can't you reduce it further as long as you have an appropriately sized p-trap?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The quickest answer is code it dosent meet code to reduce a shower to 1 1/2. I could tell you this and that about why I think some old guy decided this is code. but bottom line is because thats what they thought right. will a shower work on 1 1/2? yes should you break code and go small? probebly not but ive seen it many times

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks