Reducing drain and air gap noise new Bosch 500 dishwasher

Users who are viewing this thread

Dylan

Reaction score
I have the common increase in drain noise and air gap noise from my new Bosch 500? Do the Bosch dishwashers use a more powerful pump? Most cycles are supposed to use between 4 and 6 gallons, that's not a lot of water pumped out but it is loud.

To reduce noise, would a solid metal-air gap like the Eastman copper air gap that appears to use metal on the pipes vs plastic like other air gaps? I do know having any open space like the air gap and drain will allow noise to pass through.

I want to keep the air gap, as long as it functioning correctly I can deal with some noise. I don't want to eliminate the air gap, I don't have much room for a high loop and air gaps are required by code.

When I got a new Speed Queen loader a few years ago, I noticed more noise too. It has a much more powerful pump and a large cycle can be 15 plus gallons. I'm surprised the couple gallons coming out of the dishwasher would make so much noise.

Eastman-CD-3-Copper-Air-Gap

Last edited:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
That Eastman air gap (I'm a cranky fan) will reduce some noise, but the top section that screws to it is plastic.
The copper tubing that Eastman uses is VERY, cheaply thin, and will crush when hose clamp is tightened.
For that reason, we solder copper tube into the end to have non-crushable hose connections.
Your DW while running is rated at 44 db. There are quieter DWs, commonly 39 db when running.
Nobody rates pumping sound.

Modernwood

Reaction score
I have the common increase in drain noise and air gap noise from my new Bosch 500? Do the Bosch dishwashers use a more powerful pump? Most cycles are supposed to use between 4 and 6 gallons, that's not a lot of water pumped out but it is loud.

To reduce noise, would a solid metal-air gap like the Eastman copper air gap that appears to use metal on the pipes vs plastic like other air gaps? I do know having any open space like the air gap and drain will allow noise to pass through.

I want to keep the air gap, as long as it functioning correctly I can deal with some noise. I don't want to eliminate the air gap, I don't have much room for a high loop and air gaps are required by code.

When I got a new Speed Queen loader a few years ago, I noticed more noise too. It has a much more powerful pump and a large cycle can be 15 plus gallons. I'm surprised the couple gallons coming out of the dishwasher would make so much noise.

Eastman-CD-3-Copper-Air-Gap
Did you find a solution to this? I'm dealing with the same thing. Bosh 800 rated to 40db (I'm aware the rating has nothing to do with the drain noise, but one doesn't buy the quiet one expecting there to be loud parts).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks