Red Lion RL20 Pressure Tank fitting

Users who are viewing this thread

Kahl

Reaction score
I have a Red Lion RL20 Pressure Tank that has a leak in the elbow fitting at the bottom of the tank.
I'm trying to get it loose but I'm not sure if it's threaded or fitted by other means. I suspect I'm just bending whats left of the fitting
Can anyone tell me if it's threaded?
Any help or insights appreciated.
elbow..jpg

Bannerman

Reaction score
In the rusty area between the elbow and tank, are there threads there? Use a screwdriver to determine if any threads can be detected. Unless threaded, I don't know how the elbow would be attached otherwise.

Can you see a nipple within the elbow while using a flashlight through the hole or after removal of the brass tank Tee?

What is the small protrusion extending from the bottom of the elbow? I doubt it is an Allen bolt or other type of fastener but ?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
Cary, with the rust shown above the elbow, do you anticipate the nipple will break off the tank when attempting to remove the elbow. There appears to be a narrow crack part way around where the nipple is attached to the tank.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It will break the nipple off or bend the bottom of the tank. Those are put on by machine and will be really tight. And, if the tank elbow looks like that you know the bladder/diaphragm is most likely bad as well. No sense in fixing the elbow just to find out the bladder is bad.

Kahl

Reaction score
**UPDATE**
I just got a response from Red Lon and they told me that this elbow is not replaceable and that I would have to buy a new tank. I explained to the nice lady that I have another one of these tanks that is also rusting at this same elbow and that I wouldn't be buying a new tank from them. On the bright side they do come with a 5 year warranty. Doesn't help me but still.

Kahl

Reaction score
It will break the nipple off or bend the bottom of the tank. Those are put on by machine and will be really tight. And, if the tank elbow looks like that you know the bladder/diaphragm is most likely bad as well. No sense in fixing the elbow just to find out the bladder is bad.
Bladder is still holding pressure. Piss poor design as I have another one that is also rusting at this elbow.

Reach4

Reaction score
Bladder is still holding pressure. Piss poor design as I have another one that is also rusting at this elbow.
Good point. That looks at inside-out corrosion to me. Is your water corrosive? pH is part of that.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Perfectly designed. Last just past the warranty, then the weakest link in the chain fails. They can make all kinds of sales claims about how good their bladders, paint job, etc., are, then epoxy a black iron elbow on the bottom that won't last very long or come off. They don't care if you switch to a different brand. They have already sold you two, which is more than if they put on a non corrosive elbow and made one tank last 30 years. Everything we purchase has a fail by mechanism built in somewhere. The days of replacing a 20 year old bearing and getting another 20 years of service from a product are long gone. Nothing is repairable anymore. We are a throw away society and that is a throw away tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks