Recessed light in fire rated ceiling?

Users who are viewing this thread

Theodore

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm installing a recessed light in my soon-to-be enclosed boiler room. The boiler room will have 5/8" thick fire rated drywall ceiling and walls. Just a thought: do I need a special fire-rated recessed light can? Or, do I need to make a 5/8" drywall box around the light, between the ceiling joists? Or do I just use a plain vanilla recessed light can and move along with my work? What is typically done?
Thanks
Theodore

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
If you need to have a any fire rated wall or ceiling, any penetration must also be fire rated at the same level. Are you required by local code to have the furnace in a fire rated room? For business, apt., multi family home or single family home? All recess light cans have a thermo-switch built into it. Should an oversize lamp be put into it or too much insulation on top of the can, it can get too hot and could become a fire hazard. The thermo-switch turns off the power to the lamp but only until it cools. You have to look at the label of the light fixture itself on its allowed installation requirements and the UL listing. Boxing it in with drywall it could cause the fixture to overheat, lol, LED lamps probably never, however, the drivers can get warm and overheat shorting the life of the LED lamp.

Is the door to the room also fire rated? It will have a label on the hinge side of the door. For residential it is usually 20 minutes. Commercial building 2 hours.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks