Rear outlet toilet question

Users who are viewing this thread

bdad

Reaction score
My building requires rear outlet toilets and I have found that really complicates my search for a toilet for a renovation we are doing. We currently have a Gerber Pressure Assisted Dual Flush which I love but my wife thinks is ugly as sin (and it is admittedly big for the space we have so something smaller ie <27-28') would be nice). I have been trying to find something that is either wall mounted or just a bit smaller that has strong flushing power and doesn't streak easily and I have been coming up empty handed. I haven't seen any great reviews of wall mounted toilets (people seem to have problem w either streaking or power). And floor mounted units tend to be too big (the rear outlet Caroma could be a possible exception, but my wife doesn't really like the way it looks). Any thoughts?

bdad

Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah, I am leaning towards the Aquia. From going over reviews it seems like people have some problems with the water level and skid marks though so probably not ideal. I actually have an old Geberit single flush carrier which I think is a 1.6gpf (model # 110.816.00.1) that came with the apartment but we replaced when we moved in and has been sitting in storage since then. Any thoughts on whether I would be better off using those or newer dual flush systems? (assuming I care more about performance than saving water in this scenario)?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
There are two kinds of rear Outlet toilets. One kind is attached to the wall and doesn't touch the floor. The other kind is the kind that actually sits on the floor but discharges to the rear. If you have the Gerber, I was thinking that you had the kind that sits on the floor and discharges to the rear. If you have that kind, then the aquia won't work. In fact, the aquia won't work if you have the kind like the one in the picture where the tank is outside the wall, not inside the wall. The aquia requires, for the rear Outlet one, to have a tank in the wall.

Post a photo of what your current toilet looks like, and we will be able to be much more helpful.

bdad

Reaction score
Sorry-I should be clear. When we moved in all the bathrooms had in-wall 2x4 units and wall hung bowls. We replaced them with the Gerbers that are rear outlet but sit on the floor. Still, since we are gutting the bathrooms we could go back and use the in-wall supports (which are still there) if we so choose. So basically we have a blank slate and are trying to solve for something that doesn't take up as much space as the Gerbers (and ideally is better looking) and also has a strong flush and doesn't leave any streaks etc. Any thoughts?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
From going over reviews it seems like people have some problems with the water level and skid marks though so probably not ideal.

As a general rule, the in-wall washdown flush models are just a different animal than your basic toilet. The starting water level in the bowl is lower because it isn't needed for the siphon the way it is in traditional toilets. Any low-flow is going to have less water in it to start than the old swimming-pool-of-water that the 3.5+ gpf toilets had. So, absent the swimming pool, sometimes some sticky stuff is going to contact the porcelain. In a washdown, probably more so. But in a washdown, a prodigious amount of water flows down the sides of the bowl, which tends to loosen/eliminate what's in there and stuck to there.

If people are used to the washdown flush (say, Europeans or whatever), you don't see the whining that I see on some other sites. "I bought this totally-different-type-of-toilet because someone told me that a wall-mount was cool, and it isn't the same as my regular toilet!!!!! DO NOT BUY!!!!!" It's kinda silly.

We have 3 wall-mount bowls with in-wall tanks in our beach house. We started with the Duravit bowls, and have since replaced most with Aquias. I think the Aquia is a better flush than the Duravits, and looks better to me and has a little more water in the starting position. They work great. They're different than the Drakes at the house. Duh. But we like them. And skid marks aren't for us any kind of problem. And apparently most people who have come to the beach house haven't carefully-stared at what's in the bowl and how the bowl works. They do comment with interest/curiosity on having the two pushbuttons on the wall (Geberit tanks). But they haven't obsessed about what went in and whether anything was left behind. They just used the thing, figured out which button to push, and went about their day, often complimenting the renovation.

bdad

Reaction score
That makes sense. Thanks so much for the help and I'll let you know how things turn out

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks