Really confused

Users who are viewing this thread

davis0710

Reaction score
Please help if anyone can. Yesterday i fixed my shower downstairs that was a moen and that worked fine. I had low water pressure in my house and the water district came out and put a new regulator on outside b/c my pressure was too low.

My first question is, After they bumped my water pressure up, the tub and shower in the upstairs is having a really hard time making the water hot. What would be causing this? :mad:

My second question is, When i turn all of the faucet handle in my house (whether it be a sink or a shower) all the way over to hot, my pressure drops more than half. :confused:

Can someone please help me with this, so i can try to fix my problem.

Thanks for your input,

Adam

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Your description is a little vague. We would need specific information about what make an model of shower valves you are talking about ( pictures help). And please clear up if you are talking NO WATER from the shower or tap, or water but not hot, and when you mention pressure drop, is it the house main pressure?? Check that with a gauge on a hose bibb.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Possibilities include:

1. You could now have more flow than the water heater can keep up with. Do you have an instant heater or a tankless coil?

2. They could have installed a larger or smaller PRV that is affecting your flow.

3. Working on the pipes could have loosened up some junk that is now plugging a strainer or filter.

4. You put in a new thermostatically controlled shower valve that is restricting flow when the temperature is low.

You could check out some of these things and get back to us.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If the guys that replaced the valve were sloppy they may have allowed dirt/mud into the water line and it could be causing problems. Try removing the airators and inspecting them.

Is the valve in the water heater open all the way?

Is it a ball valve? If it is a gate or globe valve, it could be causing a restriction.

If you have dialetric nipples on the water heater and have never had good hot water pressure since you have been in the house, it is possible that someone soldered the FIP adaptor while it was on the nipple and melted the insulation so bad that it is causing the restriction.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks