Quick question: how to sanitize water softener?

Users who are viewing this thread

Loiwin

Reaction score
Hi all,

You all have been very helpful to me on this forum, it’s been one year since I’ve installed my water softener. The installer mentioned to use a sanitizing kit once a year, what does this entail or can I sanitize the softener in an easier way? Is this even required?

He also mentioned to clean the brine tank every 3 years. Is this also recommended and where can I find the best way to do this?

Thanks again,

Loiwin

Reaction score
Hey reach maybe you remember me you really helped me out last year with setting up my softener settings, thanks.

I initially bought 3-4 bags and have maybe gone through 2-3 more so far in the year, and it’s still pretty half full and never gone low. I am on city chlorinated water, and I initially put bleach in the tank when I first installed the softener 1 year ago.

Do I need to clean it again every year and if so, how?

Reach4

Reaction score
So if they are 40 pound bags and you are using pellets, lets say about every 100 bags as a wild guess? That is 4000 lbs. That may be more often than needed. The first time you cleaned, you could assess if you could have waited longer.

I would think with the chlorinated water, you would not need to treat the resin tank. For a new softener, the Fleck 5810 manual suggests 1.2 fluid ounces of 5.25% Sodium Hypochlorite (chlorine bleach) for every cubic ft of resin. So if you wanted to santize the brine tank, that might be a good amount for fairly soon after a regen (to let it sit with the brine for a week or so) to put into the brine tank every year or two. For 2 cuft of resin, that would be 5 tablespoons of 5.25% or 3.15 tablespoons of 8%.

I have not done that myself, and my water is not chlorinated. However I do figure to sanitize my well every 2 or 3 years, so I do run some chlorine then. Maybe I will put some bleach into the brine tank next time I sanitize my well and plumbing

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks