Question on wiring ceiling fan and light

Users who are viewing this thread

James23912

Reaction score
Hi I have pre wired a couple of ceiling fans and lights in new construction, using three wire cable, I am now wondering if I will be able to use a dimmer for speed control on the fans or if I should run a separate wire in order to be able to do that, thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It depends on the controller and the fan/light you use. I have a couple of Casablanca (older) fans that use just a two wire connection to control not only the fan speed, direction, but also the lighting on/off and dimming by sending coded signals through the wiring to the fan.

James23912

Reaction score
Hi thanks, I have not bought them yet so will check, I think some have remotes anyway. Set up is for two switches. it’s hard to keep up with stuff, I bought some bell wire for doorbell and then when I started looking at chimes I realized they are mostly wireless. Tough getting old

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A fan/light may only require hot/neutral/ground if it uses a remote to control the functions...essentially, it's always sitting in standby mode unless you tell it to do something...so, see what the fan you desire needs for wiring.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks