Question on wiring ceiling fan and light

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by James23912, Sep 15, 2020.

1. James23912

James23912 Member

Hi I have pre wired a couple of ceiling fans and lights in new construction, using three wire cable, I am now wondering if I will be able to use a dimmer for speed control on the fans or if I should run a separate wire in order to be able to do that, thanks

2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    It depends on the controller and the fan/light you use. I have a couple of Casablanca (older) fans that use just a two wire connection to control not only the fan speed, direction, but also the lighting on/off and dimming by sending coded signals through the wiring to the fan.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. James23912

James23912 Member

Hi thanks, I have not bought them yet so will check, I think some have remotes anyway. Set up is for two switches. it’s hard to keep up with stuff, I bought some bell wire for doorbell and then when I started looking at chimes I realized they are mostly wireless. Tough getting old

5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    A fan/light may only require hot/neutral/ground if it uses a remote to control the functions...essentially, it's always sitting in standby mode unless you tell it to do something...so, see what the fan you desire needs for wiring.