Question on toilet vent...

Users who are viewing this thread

I26

Reaction score
The main drain in my house is located in the laundry room & comes down from the top floor to the basement, and into the foundation. A few years after moving in my wife noticed a straight pipe about 1-1/2" diameter x 18" coupled into the main line which is quite bigger. She once seen something drip onto the floor from this small pipe. I wasn't sure what it was so I applied a piece of duct tape to it as it looked like the tape on it deteriorated. What is a toilet vent? What is this pipe? I would include a pic but camera is at work.

Ugly sketch is this: main drain coming down from top floor, bold pipe is the pipe in question...

Thank You for taking a look and offering advice.

Attachments

• drain.JPG
    drain.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 292

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
The main drain in my house is located in the laundry room & comes down from the top floor to the basement, and into the foundation. A few years after moving in my wife noticed a straight pipe about 1-1/2" diameter x 18" coupled into the main line which is quite bigger. She once seen something drip onto the floor from this small pipe. I wasn't sure what it was so I applied a piece of duct tape to it as it looked like the tape on it deteriorated. What is a toilet vent? What is this pipe? I would include a pic but camera is at work.

It sounds like this pipe goes no place at all being 18"?
If thats the case it is nothing. I'm sure it was for something a long time ago but the plumbing in your house has changed and it was discontinued. That is not uncommon in older houses that may have been worked on by none plumbers.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I26 said:
... I applied a piece of duct tape to it as it looked like the tape on it deteriorated ...

If that pipe is ABS or PVC, it would be a simple job to put a cap on it rather than tape. If it is metal, I would at least clamp on a rubber cap or maybe even a piece of rubber from a heavy inner tube if you cannot find a cap to fit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks