PVC to lead tub drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Awardmont

Reaction score
Hello, I am a newbie here, replacing my tub in a 40 year old house with concrete foundation, cast iron drains with lead traps at tubs toilets and shower. I cut out my old 1 1/2" lead drain pipe going down 2" before a 2" bulge in the pipe . What is this bulge in the lead drain pipe? I will try to attach a picture. Thanks Mike in Houston

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
What you are seeing is wiped joint where the lead joins a brass fitting, the brass fitting it more then likely caulked into a 2" cast iron hub. That joint is also done with lead. You have to remove the brass fitting to be able to change over to PVC.

John

lead-drains-148-home.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dlh

plumbing consultant
Reaction score
i agree it is most likely a wiped joint where the lead of the pipe/trap attaches to a brass piece but i would just remove the lead from around the brass piece and use a shielded coupling to attach the pvc to the brass instead of taking it out of the cast iron hub and then having to lead a piece of cast into the hub or try to push some pipe into a rubber gasket designed for cast iron hub pipe

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You'd have to check carefully to see if the brass was compatible with a no-hub connector. The more common solution is take it out, use a Fernco donut, or cut off the cast to a non-hub, non-curved section, then the no-hub.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks