PVC to copper joint needs sealed

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by tdkdpt, Dec 28, 2020.

1. tdkdpt

tdkdpt New Member

So I have this issue under my
    Kitchen sink where the new PVC pipe attaching to the old copper stub out is leaking. This is a non-threaded joint so i was a little worried about this when I put it together.

my question is, how do I seal this joint to stop the leaking? Would a PVC glue work? Pipe dope? Etc??
    I’ll try to post a pic of the joint in question. Thanks so much!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2020
  2. wwhitney

wwhitney Well-Known Member

What is the leftmost PVC fitting in your photo? I'm not aware of a way to make a non-threaded joint directly between copper DWV and Schedule 40 PVC.

Cheers, Wayne

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

If that is 1-5/8 OD copper (1-1/2 inch copper) I would cut that pipe closer to the wall, and solder on a copper trap adapter.

[​IMG]

Your less elegant, but solder free, would be to cut the copper shorter, and use the proper shielded coupler to couple a spigot plastic trap adapter to the copper pipe.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2020
    Tuttles Revenge and Helper Dave like this.
  5. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

The easiest way to make that water tight connection is with a shielded rubber coupling. Find one that transitions from Copper to PVC/IPS and replace the bushing inserted into the trap adapter with a small section of PVC pipe. ***as mentioned above by reach4***

6. dj2

dj2 In the Trades

Do as reach4 suggested.