PVC to copper joint needs sealed

Users who are viewing this thread

Tdkdpt

Reaction score
So I have this issue under my
Kitchen sink where the new PVC pipe attaching to the old copper stub out is leaking. This is a non-threaded joint so i was a little worried about this when I put it together.

my question is, how do I seal this joint to stop the leaking? Would a PVC glue work? Pipe dope? Etc??
I’ll try to post a pic of the joint in question. Thanks so much!

0GF6JzY.jpg

Attachments

• 7D5220EE-6BC6-4439-903C-23C209B24F06.jpeg
    7D5220EE-6BC6-4439-903C-23C209B24F06.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 123
Last edited by a moderator:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
What is the leftmost PVC fitting in your photo? I'm not aware of a way to make a non-threaded joint directly between copper DWV and Schedule 40 PVC.

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
If that is 1-5/8 OD copper (1-1/2 inch copper) I would cut that pipe closer to the wall, and solder on a copper trap adapter.

copper-everbilt-copper-fitting.jpg

Your less elegant, but solder free, would be to cut the copper shorter, and use the proper shielded coupler to couple a spigot plastic trap adapter to the copper pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The easiest way to make that water tight connection is with a shielded rubber coupling. Find one that transitions from Copper to PVC/IPS and replace the bushing inserted into the trap adapter with a small section of PVC pipe. ***as mentioned above by reach4***

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks