PVC Slip fit coupling Constant pressure (underground)

Users who are viewing this thread

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think that "not recommended for potable" is on a lot of pvc pipe and materials. Mostly cause hot water is so bad in them.

Fitter30

Reaction score
What is an hd site? Yes thats a coupling on left.
This is a sloping property . Long water line. Probably some movement. So I think Im going to take it out an glue it somehow
Also its under a walkway (pavers) so checking it would be a hassle.
Also look at this comment company makes about product:
"We do not recommend using this fitting in a potable water application. Instead, use a fitting made of CPVC (chlorinated polyvinyl chloride). to determine if this connection or fitting is legal in Oregon, you will need to check with your local municipality."
Its probably not that toxic, but its strange that they dont recommend it for potable water , but they do for incoming water to pouse
Home depot. Give me link because i can't find it for not approved for potable. Hd under specs write it is and the factory tech i talked to. How did the pipe fail?

Fitter30

Reaction score
"Recommended" no one said approved
  • Conforms to NSF 61/372, ASTM D-1784, D-2466, F-1970 and D-2000
  • Screenshot_20240103-100845.png

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is what I said. No one said it wasn't approved. They said not recommended which are different things. As your list shows not for water piping above 140, but we all know you can't install it in hot water systems period, no matter if the temp is 140 or below.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Jeff's first reply was best. With a slide coupling just before a vertical transition, when the water pressure fluctuates from turning fixtures on and off the pipe will move back and forth causing the elbows to crack. Talking from experience. If it was a straight run then maybe okay. The bigger the pipe the better the chance it will crack.

Tim3131

Reaction score
Thanks for all responses. I think original Fitting failed because sloping property long pipe etc.
What does Hd mean? Restrained?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks