Normal for compression PVC fittings to push pipe out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Alafave

Reaction score
Hey folks, discovered a leak in a fitting for my water service line entrance.

I couldn’t figure out what my water service pipe was made of. House is late 80s, pipe is dark grey/black inside, cuts like PVC, very thick. I don’t believe it to be polybutylene, as I have dealt with that in the past. The previous installation was a solvent welded PVC coupling which seemed to work fine. Pictures attached.

Because I couldn’t figure out what the pipe was, and what cement to use, I decided to repair with a compression fitting. I got the fitting very tight, but it still pushed the free end against the foundation when pressure is applied. I shoved in a piece of PT 2x4 to hold the assembly together. There are no leaks, but I’m having trouble trusting it. Is this normal for compression couplings? I did put some valve grease on the coupling to help it slide on and I’m wondering if I shot myself in the foot.

Thanks!

B3F8CDB0-266F-4604-BB77-E1DE2AD2329F.jpeg
58439338-209D-47DB-84FA-41BAA277585B.jpeg
0B5AE474-7D99-4E34-B748-8A1E4D0BC1D1.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Alafave

Reaction score
After further research, I believe the water line is schedule 80 PVC. I plan to replace the compression coupling with a solvent welded solution

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
That definitely looks like Sch80

This is the fitting that I use for making repairs to unknown piping. Depending on the installation, will install thrust blocking or encase in concrete.

Found an example of a recent installation. We had to bring in a dedicated line for a fire suppression system and found that the water service was split to 2 different sides of the house, so we had to tie onto 1 of the old galvanized lines.

1668109441723.png

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep sch 80 PVC. Local water co. tech helped me out with that kind of compression coupling that tuttles has. I prefer the glue but the compression works

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
After your repair using silicone wrap could be in oder. Sharkbite requires it when using their press and fit brass couplers for underground use. It can prevent or greatly reduce any future contaminates entering your water source should a coupling fail. It is sold at HD and on HD website the Q&A has some good info. Just note that is bounds to itself once it cures and it can never be removed or unwrapped. There is no adhesive to it.

https://www.sharkbite.com/us/en/brass-push-to-connect/tools/silicone-wrap

silicone-wrap.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks