PVC Slip fit coupling Constant pressure (underground)

Users who are viewing this thread

Tim3131

Reaction score
My friend installed one of these to repair a leaking joint . I was out of town when leaked happened at daughters house . Its the incoming water to house. Two rubber o-rings hard for me to trust. I see mixed opinions online about burying these with constant pressure pipe. Appreciate opinions.
zzzz.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would not have used that fitting id replace the 2 90s no fighting easy peasy and more reliable in my opinion. I dont know the reliability of those. But I have no opinion on the reliability of your repair its just that I know my repair is good

Tim3131

Reaction score
Im between These fixes (Im a solid C- plumber)
1. digging it back and doing 2 regular couplings, and jamming it in (cant find a video for this but seems to make the most sence)
2. doing the 4 90s method
3. doing the remove the middle ridge of the coupling method and sliding on
4. Just leaving it

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
1. digging it back and doing 2 regular couplings, and jamming it in (cant find a video for this but seems to make the most sence)
4. Just leaving it
You could do two glue slip couplings

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
4. Just leaving it
1 ok , I wouldnt
2 horrible the worst idea You would reall y add 4 90s?
3 ok so you would have 2 couplings
4 yea thats better than half these ideas

Why would you not concider cutting off the 90s and cutting out the existing coupling? and replacing the 2 90s and one coupling. its super easy to fit together and you wind up with less added glue joints to the system if you like digging though thats a good way just dig it out .
I might leave that fitting but never would have used it in the first place

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
In case it wasn't clear, Jeff's point is that since you have a nearby double 90 horizontal offset, you can do the "4 90's" method without adding any 90s.

You just remake the double 90 joint along with a length of horizontal pipe on either side of the double 90s. The joint between the two 90s is the last joint you make up. You have to expose enough pipe and clear space on at least one side of the double 90s to allow the horizontal pipe on that side to deflect away from the other 90 by at least one joint depth.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks Wayne exactly my point cut all that crap out and use 2 90s one coupling personally I think it looks better too

Tim3131

Reaction score
Thanks for responses . Are these types of fittings supposed to be buried with constant house pressure?
It seems like the o-rings would rot over time. Great idea for sprinkler fix.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
An o-ring has to be exposed to elements that could make it rot. I'm not sure the an o ring in this fitting could rot. But being underground is subject to movement more so the more shallow the ditch.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dont know I dont use them or really like them let us know contact manufacture please

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I would keep it, add a pressure treated thwart block to prevent over expansion pressure (or even rebar). then add an irrigation box over it to keep it in view over time.

Tim3131

Reaction score
Here is a comment from manufacturer.
A: Yes, this fitting may be used within a main supply line application to your home. This PVC Repair Coupling is for use in systems where water temperatures will not exceed 140°F and has a maximum working pressure of 235 psi.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here is a comment from manufacturer.
A: Yes, this fitting may be used within a main supply line application to your home. This PVC Repair Coupling is for use in systems where water temperatures will not exceed 140°F and has a maximum working pressure of 235 psi.
It says "to your home". What does it say about direct bury? Maybe that is what they mean by that, but I think the question is mostly about being underground. If they say it's cool I'm sure it works.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Called Apollo can be underground but they also want it restrained. The restrained is on hd site. How long is the water line? Is that a coupling in the pic to the left?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
oh Im sure they work its just a matter of how good are they and are they legal . Id be ok leaving it if someone else had installed it but Id be nervous to take responceability Its probebly ok

Tim3131

Reaction score
What is an hd site? Yes thats a coupling on left.
This is a sloping property . Long water line. Probably some movement. So I think Im going to take it out an glue it somehow
Also its under a walkway (pavers) so checking it would be a hassle.
Also look at this comment company makes about product:
"We do not recommend using this fitting in a potable water application. Instead, use a fitting made of CPVC (chlorinated polyvinyl chloride). to determine if this connection or fitting is legal in Oregon, you will need to check with your local municipality."
Its probably not that toxic, but its strange that they dont recommend it for potable water , but they do for incoming water to pouse

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks