PVC coupling question

Users who are viewing this thread

gtfrueh

Reaction score
Hello,

I need to couple two pieces of 1-1/2" PVC pipes together, but I need it to also be strong. I bought the standard fitting at Home Depot, but the total length of the fitting is 2-1/2 inches. I can only slide the PVC pipe into the fitting about 1-1/4 inches. I don't think this will provide the strength I need.

Is there a 1-1/2" fitting that is longer than 2-1/2 inches? Even a few inches on either side would be good.

Thanks,
George

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The standard fitting will be plenty strong. You must understand that PVC is not technically "glued". The so-called glue or cement is actually a solvent that liquifies the surfaces of the pipe and fitting for a few seconds. The allows the pipe of fully engage the fitting. The liquified surfaces blend together and form a chemical weld. The resulting joint is permanent and as strong or stronger than the rest of the pipe.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
If your use is just for the strength you could use a coupling that's used for water lines. It's longer than a DWV coupling and the slips are also deeper.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks