PureFlow compression ring failure

Users who are viewing this thread

Nick Hodapp

Reaction score
Hi - My home is plumbed with PEX and Viega PureFlow fittings (the ones with the stainless steel compression rings). Both for potable water, and for our hydronic floor heat.

We noticed a leak at a T fitting that supplies the floor. Close inspection showed the compression ring split and failed.

It was installed about 15 years ago. My concern is whether I should be worried about all of the other fittings I have - should I be worried?

I noticed Viega seems to have a 25 year warranty on PureFlow fittings. Should I pursue that for the cost of repair (I hired it out...).

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Contact Viega (we contact our local Viega rep if there is an issue).
They will typically have you send them the part in question, so that their lab can review/analyze and if they confirm it is a "failure" they will likely reimburse you.

Nick Hodapp

Reaction score
Fortunately no damage on this one; it was in the only unfinished space in the house, and was a slow drip. I'm worried about the ones inside my walls.

Here's a photo of the failed ring. It failed at the "inspection hole" (?) that is used to ensure you have the PEX inserted fully.

Attachments

• crimp-ring.jpg
    crimp-ring.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 144

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Fortunately no damage on this one; it was in the only unfinished space in the house, and was a slow drip. I'm worried about the ones inside my walls.

Here's a photo of the failed ring. It failed at the "inspection hole" (?) that is used to ensure you have the PEX inserted fully.
Id be concerned too never worked with that system. you built this and did repair? wondering if you are paying for repairs or are the plumber

Nick Hodapp

Reaction score
This comes off the boiler and feeds the hydronic floor. It was installed in 2005 by Advanced Radiant, which is now out of business. But I personally used the same system to do much of my own DIY potable plumbing in the house. I paid my boiler-maintenance company to come out and fix this as I didn't want to mess with bringing the hyrdonic floor back online.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks