Pump losing water pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Andy B

Reaction score
I just replaced my pump and pressure switch. No control box in system. Pressure tank is fairly new and has pressure, well has plenty of water.
When I turn breaker on the lines fill, pressure goes up to 60, switch cuts off then pressure decreases over about 2 min down to 40, then instead of pressure going back up, it rapidly drops to zero. Pump sounds like it is still running. If I turn breaker off and then back on system fills again and repeats. Does it sound like a break in the line or a problem with the switch? Something else?

Andy B

Reaction score
A jet pump maybe losing prime. A submersible should not act that way. You should also not be losing any pressure unless you turn on some water.
Here is a little more info. I pulled the pump(submersible), line is 260 ft, thinking there would be a break in line but there is none. When I got the pump to the surface there was a steady trickle of water from the pump for several minutes with only about a 5 foot drop. Also here is a clarification from the first post, when the switch kicks off at 60 psi, the pump turns off as expected, when the switch kicks back on at 40 psi the pump starts back up but without increasing the pressure and then in a few seconds the pressure goes to zero despite the pump running. Is the problem likely to be the lack of a check valve?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
No. A bad check valve would just cause the pump to come back on when no one is using water. When that switch hits 40 the pump should come on instantly. If there is a delay in water coming up and air in the faucets, then the bottom check could be bad and the top one holding tank pressure. But if water doesn't come up until you cycle the breaker on/off, the pump is most likely not running or not getting any water to pump. Need a clip around amp meter to see if the pump is really coming on and if it is pumping air or water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks