Pump from lake uphill to cabin

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike Clelland

Reaction score
I have searched extensively in all the forums for help with this as it would appear to be pretty basic but couldn't find clear answers. My basic plan is this:

I will use a jet pump (I have a power source and pump location right near the lake) to draw water from my lake (about 50 feet run, 10 foot rise) then pump it uphill (about 150ft run, 30 foot rise) to my cabin.

My understanding is I don't require a deep well jet pump because I'm only drawing it up probably 10-15 to the pump and the pushing part doesn't matter nearly as much (?), so I'm thinking 3/4 hp shallow well jet pump?

I have a bladder pressure tank, which I thought should go up at the cabin rather than beside the pump? (better for jet pump to be pushing rather than the tank?)

UV light, filters, tiny hot water tank etc. will all be in the cabin.

Foot valve, foot valve sock, ball joint above jet pump for testing/draining purposes. Check valve needed along the way?

Sorry if I'm all over the place here... any help appreciated.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
As long as your jet pump is less than 20' or so from the water level you can draw with a shallow well jet. Anymore lift than 24' and you need the two pipe deep well set up. 10-15 feet of lift and 30' of rise means you will lose about 20 PSI to elevation. So if you want 40/60 at the cabin you will need a 60/80 pressure switch and a pump large enough to make 80 PSI. It will take something like the J5SH to do that. The pressure tank needs to be close to the pressure switch. You can put the tank and switch at the house if you want, but it would be fine by the pump. Also when using a Cycle Stop Valve even with 60/80 pressure all you need is a 10 gallon size tank. The CSV would give you strong constant pressure in the house and allow the use of a much smaller tank. This might make it easier to put at the lake location. However, even with the CSV, the complete PK1A kit can be installed either at the pump or at the house.
Sized Jet pump PK1A.jpg

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
I have a J5SH and I can tell you it won’t make 80 psi. The listed specs may say that but I am drawing at only 6’ and pushing 0’ and the most I can get is 70 psi.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah with 10' of lift it will do 81 PSI max. So, 70 working pressure is about all you can get. Next option is a multi-stage jet pump or multi-stage booster pump. A submersible would be much better. They will provide as much pressure as you want.

Mike Clelland

Reaction score
As long as your jet pump is less than 20' or so from the water level you can draw with a shallow well jet. Anymore lift than 24' and you need the two pipe deep well set up. 10-15 feet of lift and 30' of rise means you will lose about 20 PSI to elevation. So if you want 40/60 at the cabin you will need a 60/80 pressure switch and a pump large enough to make 80 PSI. It will take something like the J5SH to do that. The pressure tank needs to be close to the pressure switch. You can put the tank and switch at the house if you want, but it would be fine by the pump. Also when using a Cycle Stop Valve even with 60/80 pressure all you need is a 10 gallon size tank. The CSV would give you strong constant pressure in the house and allow the use of a much smaller tank. This might make it easier to put at the lake location. However, even with the CSV, the complete PK1A kit can be installed either at the pump or at the house.
View attachment 60650

Thanks very much, that's the info I wanted. If I went with a pump with built-in pressure switch, I assume I would need the tank down there? I do have a second tank - would it serve any purpose to have it at the cabin? Just to give better pressure, or is that just an unnecessary complication?

Thanks again.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The switch is just stuck on the side of the jet pumps. It can be moved anywhere or just use another switch at the tank if it is remote from the pump. With a Cycle Stop Valve you could have two tanks in different locations, but you wouldn't want to do that without a CSV as they will fill at different rates. But with a CSV a small tank like 4.5 or 10 gallon is all that is needed, even though the CSV will work with any size tank. Without a CSV you want as large a tank as you can get and two in the same location would be better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks