Proper fitting for an AAV

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by James23912, Apr 6, 2021.

1. James23912

James23912 Member

About to install kitchen sink using an AAV, I have a leftover tee fitting, wondering if I can use that flat or need a wye and turn or whatever it is called, also is there a minimum height for the AAV to be above the horizontal drain, thanks again

2. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

I would use a tee on its back under a sink.. Its only allowing air in.. because it prevents liquid from entering that vertical section, I can't see it needing to be a drainage fitting. In the UPC code, the pipe after the AAV needs to be 2" ... I always install my AAV in the wall in a recessed box made for the purpose. The AAV needs to be a minimum of 4" above the trap arm.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. James23912

James23912 Member

Hi, thanks, I will proceed , appreciate your help

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

VT appears to use IPC.

However 2 inch drain pipe for a kitchen appears wise. The common place for a clog beneath a kitchen sink is where the drain transitions from vertical to horizontal. Having a way to snake that area is good.