Propane Low Pressure Problem, Good To House, Low To Appliance??

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Tanker, Apr 17, 2019 at 9:29 AM.

1. Tanker

Tanker New Member

After my propane supplier refused to came and check my long time, ongoing low pressure problem inside, I hooked up a gauge right at the valve behind the range and got 7.5 WC. They checked the regulator at the house and it checked out ok, years ago when they did check inside it showed low pressure. For many years the hot water heater sounds like a jet engine when it first starts and for a few seconds (it ruined the old one), the old furnace needed the jets to be rodded out with a paper clip every so often and the top burners on the range would soot up, also the broiler would not work properly and needed the stove to be on high for a while to even light. Where do I start? The tech said that I might have a restriction in the 1/2" piping, is that possible?

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Possible.

It is possible there is a problem with the house regulator. Watch the pressure at the stove while the WH burner is running. If that stays up, try measuring the pressure at the drip loop at the WH.

The problem could also be with the WH parts.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Tanker

Tanker New Member

They checked the pressure at the house regulator while I had all the range burners, oven, WH and the furnace running, they said it was still good. I have to take their word for it, it was done in front of me and I don't think they had a reason to lie. It's not just the WH, it's almost all the appliances, the new furnace was not affected as much as the old one, it's the range right now that's the problem, I have to install the new one before the DW has a meltdown(again) ....LOL. One way or another it will be solved, there's a T close to the outside wall, I'll test it from there...if it's low then it's most likely the regulator, if not maybe a restricted pipe(?)

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

How will you test? Do you have a manometer?

If you find that your piping after the regulator is not enough to carry the load, you could convert your system to use a regulator at the individual appliances. The new regulator at the house would convert to 2 psi, and the individual regulators would convert to the normal appliance pressure.