Pro-Ox Filter for Well Water Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

TC1994

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am new to the well water world having recently bought a home with a well. A couple of months after I bought the home the water began turning reddish/orange, so I called in the Culligan to do a test and here are the results:

TDS = 120 ppm | Hardness = 8 ppm | Iron = 5 ppm | Manganese = 0.3 ppm

pH = 7 | H2S = 1 | Silica = 8 ppm

Just barely purchased the home, so I could not afford what the Culligan guy was proposing, so I set my eyes online and found cleanwaterstore.com who recommended the items below. Are you all familiar with cleanwater and their pro-ox filters? Like I said, I really cant afford more than this because I had to put a lot of money down to buy this home

C:\Users\ACARRI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg
Pro-OX 5900-AIR 2.0 cu. Ft. - Air Injection Oxidizing Filter

Unique NSF Control Valve allows the air pocket to be replenished each night, without having the iron filter go through a complete backwash. Other Air-Charger Iron Filters must go through a complete backwash each night, in order to replenish the air, wasting thousands of gallons of water each year.

Cost: $1,149.00

No potassium permanganate, or other chemicals required like other iron filters. This system also works with chlorinated water should you shock the well.

Dimensions: 12" diameter x 59" height with the valve attached. ¾" or 1” connectors, media, valve, and bypass is included. All installation and start-up guides will be sent directly to you and we are available for tech-support as well should you have questions during installation or down the line.

http://www.cleanwaterstore.com/FE011920.html#tab=tab1

Excellent warranty: 10 years on the tank; Industry leading 7 years on the control valve.

Softener 5900e Series- 64K Size, 2.0 cu. Ft. Cost: $789.00

C:\Users\ACARRI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.jpg
Includes 1 inch or 3/4 inch pipe connectors and bypass valve; 2.0 cubic feet of heavy-duty Softener resin; heavy-duty brine tank; and 5900e Series digital metered-regeneration control valve. Ease of service along with a simple user interface are a big plus with this valve.

Excellent quality and should last for years to come, typically 10+ as long as is backwashing normally and using the proper amount of salts. These are quite efficient with usage, thus would only regenerate based upon the water used and not by days of the week.

http://www.cleanwaterstore.com/WS005650.html#tab=tab1

Dimensions: 12” x 52” Tank, with the valve is approximately 60” tall. All instructions on assembly are included as is tech-support as well. Brine Tank is 18” x 33”, other sizes available.

Excellent Warranty: Industry leading 7 years on the control valve; 10 years on the tanks.

C:\Users\ACARRI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image003.jpg
Rusco Spin Down Filter, PE, ¾” or 1”, 100 Mesh size: Cost: $76.95

Rusco Spin Down Filter Polyester Screen T Style: 1" Pipe Size, 1" SxS Port (Slip x Slip, for PVC pipes or glued connections), 100 Mesh (152 Microns). Includes 1/2" manual flush ball valve. Rusco Spin-Down Sediment Filters are highly flexible filters designed to be utilized in a wide variety of applications.

If will be used where housing is exposed to sunlight, include optional sunshield, cost is $19.95 for this.

http://www.cleanwaterstore.com/MS006640.html#tab=tab1

Culligan recommended, but it was way over my budget:
• 20’’ Big Blue Sediment assembly w/ bracket & wrench

• 10’’ Gold HGR
Ion-Exchange System

• Stenner-Gard RBC
(Resin-bed cleaner)

Thanks

Bannerman

Reaction score
As with any private well, the owner is responsible for the safety and treatment of the water so it is always advisable to periodically obtain a comprehensive lab test on the water's contamination and mineral contents. Here is a link to a test which is reasonably priced: http://www.ntllabs.com/Merchant2/me...NTL&Product_Code=9003&Category_Code=Homeowner

There are numerous methods to reduce iron with Katalox Light being the newest media which is very effective and is highly recommended. A specific recommendation can be provided once the lab results are specified. On-site testing cannot compare to a lab which utilizes highly sensitive equipment which tests the level of numerous elements contained in the water.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Not a fan of that system at all. Also the Rusco... I used them for many years, now all I distribute is the Lakos Twist II clean, seriously much better.

Brain2000

Reaction score
Have you determined your well's gallons per minute capacity? Make sure it has plenty to handle 2 sq ft of that stuff, it's heavy! A lot of sites show a flowrate lower than it really needs to be. I went with Katalox Light and a 9" vortech tank because I only have 6 gpm. It works wonderfully.

Reach4

Reaction score
Have you determined your well's gallons per minute capacity? Make sure it has plenty to handle 2 sq ft of that stuff, it's heavy!
A 12 inch diameter tank has a cross-section area of 0.785 square feet. Your point about that media needing a lot of backwash still holds.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks