Priming point for shallow well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Speedbump

Reaction score
For someone looking for free advice; this one is certainly not skilled in the methods of smoozing educated answers from professionals.

bob...

belewmoon

Reaction score
Raucina said:
You guys better be careful - Plumbing rage is becoming second to road rage as a source of death and dismemberment.

Better take it out behind the mis-piped pump house and whack each other with schedule 80 pipe until the guy with the best schematic, or diagram or missing photo, [or whatever] remains standing.

Multiple priming ports Rule!! We all HATE 180' bends!

Ha ha! Good one!! I'm starting to think a 180 bend is not my best option...

Were you serious on the multiple priming ports? Why would I need a priming port after the pump but before the tank?

Last edited:

belewmoon

Reaction score
speedbump said:
For someone looking for free advice; this one is certainly not skilled in the methods of smoozing educated answers from professionals.

bob...

And because I'm "not skilled" does that mean I, or anyone else, should have to put up with tone and attitude contained in this thread? There is no need for some of the condescending sarcasm contained here. Wastes my time, takes up server space & gives the board a bad name. I have been polite so far. And I have gave thanks where it was due. And yes, there will be pics of my obviously incorrect piping for all to see & comment on.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Schematic, drawing, diagram, whatever! Be a little bit more open minded & little bit more closed mouth & I'm sure we can figure this out.

The condescending attitude of some people in this thread is getting rather tiring. I have enough to go on. However, I will include pics when I get around to it...and not one water leak drip before!

That's not condescenting?

belewmoon

Reaction score
speedbump said:
That's not condescenting?

No, they are not condescending.

I will include pics when I get around to it...

I did not want people to think pics would be up relatively quickly. I knew the weekend was coming up & other things were going on. And if you'll notice I ended that sentence with a joke.

...open minded & closed mouth...

Wanted comments to be kept on topic & to the point.

belewmoon

Reaction score
A few pics. Need any other angles just let me know. And thanks for your patience...

You can see the priming points in the photos. Priming point before the pump is in the "pipe from well" photo. Priming point after the pump is in the "Sears 3/4hp" photo.

Notice in the "tank and pump" photo that the piping goes from pvc to cpvc. Piping goes from white to beige. Would it be worth my while to change everything to cpvc?

Sears 3/4hp pump
pump.jpg

Tank and pump
tankandpump.jpg

Pipe from well coming into basement
wellpipe.jpg

Speedbump

Reaction score
The only place I saw to prime the pump is on top of it. I can't see to the top of the fitting, it's cut off, but that is where you prime the pump. I need a side view of the front of pump to see the entire suction line and to see if this thing has a check valve.

bob...

belewmoon

Reaction score
speedbump said:
The only place I saw to prime the pump is on top of it. I can't see to the top of the fitting, it's cut off, but that is where you prime the pump. I need a side view of the front of pump to see the entire suction line and to see if this thing has a check valve.

bob...

That cutoff part is actually the priming point. You can see it better in the "Tank and pump" pic.

In the pic "Pipe from well coming into basement" there is a priming point on the top of the copper pipe.

I will take pics of the suction side of the pump.

Last edited:

jgbfl

Reaction score
Why does the pump section remind me of a pool pump?
I suppose it would work. I am not an expert on well pumps but are not pool pump impellers & shallow well pump impellers different?

If it is a pool pump, I don't think they are designed to draw water from a depth of more then a foot or two.

These experts here can give you a better answer but I thought I would ask the question.
Good Luck

belewmoon

Reaction score
jgbfl said:
Why does the pump section remind me of a pool pump?
I suppose it would work. I am not an expert on well pumps but are not pool pump impellers & shallow well pump impellers different?

If it is a pool pump, I don't think they are designed to draw water from a depth of more then a foot or two.

These experts here can give you a better answer but I thought I would ask the question.
Good Luck

I hope it's not a pool pump! There was originally a Flotec 3/4hp pump on there that got ate up by sand going thru it. We replaced it with the Sears 3/4hp pump. It pretty much matches the Flotec in design.

I don't know, maybe the original installer put the wrong pump on & we just followed his lead...

Raucina

Reaction score
CONDESCENTING........actually is a word and it means to sniff around and be on the look out for an insult or condescending statement that would require an immediate sarcastic response.

Its not a pool pump, dont worry, I have the same one in my dead pump pile. I dont think it has a check valve in it either. Your system is about average for the typical mess of homeowner plumbing, and does not have any obvious flaws requiring immediate surgery.

However, I recently removed a hayward pool pump with leaf trap and all that served a run down rental faithfully for 10 years! The cracked cover on the trap was held down with wire and wedges and finally a dozer cutting edge propped to the roof of the shack. Pretty good Slovak crapsmanship.

Yes its a word too, MY word, so do not correct it.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Flo Tec, Sears, same thing. Both made by Sta-Rite, sold by department stores and big box stores. I don't know if that one has a built in check valve or not. I can't see it anyway. But the only priming port I see is on top of the pump.

bob...

belewmoon

Reaction score
speedbump said:
Flo Tec, Sears, same thing. Both made by Sta-Rite, sold by department stores and big box stores. I don't know if that one has a built in check valve or not. I can't see it anyway. But the only priming port I see is on top of the pump.

bob...

bob, did you see this: In the pic "Pipe from well coming into basement" there is a priming point on the top of the copper pipe.

Let me know if you can see the top of the copper pipe in that pic. Even if you can't see it very well, it's just a plug in the pipe. I realize it's kind of far away & will take a closer pic.

Speedbump

Reaction score
No I didn't see it. But in my humble opinion, fittings in suction lines are just one more problem And it's not necessary. Jet pumps are self priming and will take off with just a pump full of water if you do it right.

bob...

Raucina

Reaction score
What does look wrong in your system is that copper corroded pipe going into the dirt. The copper should be above ground and the pvc in the soil.

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
The only spot you should be priming that pump at is at the tee on top of your pump.The onle system that would have 2 priming points is a twin pipe deep well jet pump and yours is not. So forget about priming points already its rediculous. If you can't get that pump primed then i'll have to bet you a vacume leak in front of that pump or in that copper water line. I can see why speedbump and everyone else is losing patience with you.We have talked alot of people through problems with their well systems on this board but at this point maybe you should hang it up and call a pro. It doesn't sound like you handle this.

SAM

belewmoon

Reaction score
sammyhydro11 said:
The only spot you should be priming that pump at is at the tee on top of your pump.The only system that would have 2 priming points is a twin pipe deep well jet pump and yours is not. So forget about priming points already its rediculous. If you can't get that pump primed then I'll have to bet you a vacuum leak in front of that pump or in that copper water line.
SAM

Sam, thanks for replying. I'm not trying to prime the system. I am getting ready to replace the pump & want to make sure the system is piped correctly. Sounds like it isn't. I think I will remove the suction priming point & leave the priming point on top of the pump.

belewmoon

Reaction score
Raucina said:
What does look wrong in your system is that copper corroded pipe going into the dirt. The copper should be above ground and the pvc in the soil.

Raucina, thanks for the info. That's good to know. I wouldn't be able to replace that copper pipe until spring. The ground is frozen right now. Just to clarify...pipe in ground should be pvc or cpvc...what should pipe be in the shallow well? Should I keep it pvc/cpvc?

belewmoon

Reaction score
Items that need to be fixed:
1. Delete priming point on suction end. Keep point on top of pump.
2. Copper pipe in ground. Change to pvc or cpvc.
3. Water hammer. Put T at bottom of tank to create straighter flow.
4. Change pipes to all pvc or cpvc? Currently starts pvc after pump & then changes to cpvc before filter/uv light.

Thanks to the "pros". We're almost there...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks