Preventing pipes from freezing......?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by 87vertgt, Dec 17, 2009.

1. 87vertgt

87vertgt New Member

Should i let all faucets (hot and cold water and the kitchen and bathroom) drip overnight? or can i get away with just turning on the kitchen on drip mode and leave the bathroom alone?

Thanx

2. Runs with bison

Runs with bison Member

Why do you expect any of them to freeze? Is the space around them going to drop below freezing? Has the heat gone out?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
  5. 87vertgt

87vertgt New Member

thanx for the responses guys...

the area where they freeze is in the wall. the house is over 100 years old. also the water boiler/heater is in the porch thats not heated so i am worried about those too...

6. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

Caretaker
    Depends on how your pipes run.

Basically, anything against an outside wall, should be left dripping.

Doesn't need to be much. A single drop, every second or two, is plenty, unless you're getting into near-zero weather.

7. 87vertgt

87vertgt New Member

a week ago it was 25 below....iam the type thats paranoid...i'l just let them all drip :D