Pressure testing residential system containing a pressure reducing valve

Users who are viewing this thread

ari

Reaction score
Hi,
I would like to pressure test my PEX system before use. It seems this is often done with air. I found a hose fitting with a Schrader valve and my plan was to use my bike tire pump which has a gauge on it. The system also contains a gauge, as well as a pressure reducing valve with an outlet range of 40-70 psi (inlet can take up to 200 and my incoming water pressure is around 120). I've read recommended pressure for testing to be around 120 psi. The only way I can think of to get around the pressure reducer is to pressurize the system via an opening downstream of the reducing valve. Will this damage the pressure reducing valve?
Alternative testing suggestions are also welcome.
Thanks,
Ari

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Testing with air is much different than testing with water, it can be dangerous.
To find leaks, a low pressure (30-50 PSI) air test is just as effective as high pressure (150 PSI) water test. This is because the viscosity and surface tension of water is greater than that of air.

https://griswoldcontrols.com/project/pressure-testing-air-vs-water/

I remember one Winter when I had some unsoldered test caps popping off my stubouts. They are like bullets when they fly off.

Last edited:
Reactions: ari

ari

Reaction score
Testing with air is much different than testing with water, it can be dangerous.
To find leaks, a low pressure (30-50 PSI) air test is just as effective as high pressure (150 PSI) water test. This is because the viscosity and surface tension of water is greater than that of air.

https://griswoldcontrols.com/project/pressure-testing-air-vs-water/

I remember one Winter when unsoldered test caps were flying. They're like bullets when they fly off.

Yep that makes a lot of sense. I'll use water. Same question about bypassing the pressure reducing valve, would I risk damaging it if I were to pressurize via an opening downstream from it?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
water test is what i meant . I wouldnt recomend air test, nor expect it to harm the valve but unless I had info confirming it ok no way would I air test

Reactions: ari
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks