Pressure tank getting waterlogged

Users who are viewing this thread

towheedm

Reaction score
I've recently install a new pump and 2 pressure tanks. The installation is shown in the image.
pump_install1.jpg

The pump is a Gould's J5S and the tanks are A.O. Smith's PM26 diaphragm tanks.

At first, I installed only one tank. The pump came adjusted 30/50. I adjusted the pressure in the tank to 28psi. I verified this with 3 different gauges. The tank got waterlogged after just about an hour of use. Either it was waterlogged or the diaphragm collapsed because I could feel it when I stuck my finger into the elbow at the base of the tank.

The supplier tested the tank and replaced it under warranty. They also requested that I bring the pump to be checked, which I did. The pump was OK but they adjusted the switch to 40/60.

I added the second tank at the same time that I got the replacement for the first one. I left the pump set to 40/60 as the tank came pre-charged to 38psi. Now after just about 3 days, one of the tank is waterlogged again. Coincidentally (or not), it was the left tank both time.

So before I call the supplier, I was just wondering whether there's something wrong with my installation.

Any advice on my installation will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
Either it was waterlogged or the diaphragm collapsed because I could feel it when I stuck my finger into the elbow at the base of the tank.
That would be normal. When there is no water pressure, the air precharge pushes the diaphram all of the way to the bottom of the tank.

Your tank may indeed be waterlogged, but if it maintains the 38 PSI of air, it is not.

With your jet pump, you may need to set the precharge to 36 or 37. That would be to prevent the momentary loss of pressure when the pump kicks on. Jet pumps are slower to get going than submersible pumps.

towheedm

Reaction score
Before I installed the tanks the second time, I checked but could not feel the diaphragm at the bottom of the tank. Also, if I remove the tank and drain it, I can still hear water swooshing around. Checking the air pressure shows it at around 42-43psi. This may indicate some water trapped between the collapsed (???) diaphragm and the lower tank walls. Don't know if that makes sense.

Reach4

Reaction score
Checking the air pressure shows it at around 42-43psi.
Checking the air precharge pressure should only be done with the water pressure zero or close to zero.

If you put in 38 and read 42 now (with water pressure=0), that seems odd. If the water pressure is greater than the precharge pressure, the air pressure will pretty much match the water pressure. That measurement is mainly done to compare calibration of your water pressure gauge and air pressure gauge.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you are checking the air pressure correctly, the pressure should not increase without adding more air. If it increased on its own from 38 to 42, then water has gotten on top of the bladder and the tank is bad. Not too uncommon to get a bad tank or two. They don't want to make tanks too good, because when the tank goes they usually also get to sell you a new pump as well. :)

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I just talked to an installer friend of mine that uses lots of AO Smith/Goulds tanks. He is having big problems. Most are getting waterlogged within a week or so. The one I helped him with today was a 26, had the correct air charge, but would not accept any water. He thinks the bladder is stuck in the discharge elbow. Sounds like something going on at the factory. They are telling people they are the only ones with the problem, but now I have heard that from several different people. Sometimes little things can cause big problems. I hope they get it figured out soon.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just talked to an installer friend of mine that uses lots of AO Smith/Goulds tanks. He is having big problems. Most are getting waterlogged within a week or so. The one I helped him with today was a 26, had the correct air charge, but would not accept any water. He thinks the bladder is stuck in the discharge elbow. Sounds like something going on at the factory. They are telling people they are the only ones with the problem, but now I have heard that from several different people. Sometimes little things can cause big problems. I hope they get it figured out soon.

Sounds like the same BS Pentair was spreading about how their lousy motors just went to a certain area of the country.

Another reason we install Well X Trols 99% of the time, very, very few failures.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can't tell from the pictures but it looks like you don't need that check valve that looks to be in the discharge of the pump. For one thing the pressure switch needs to be reading from the tank side. With the check valve you are not reading from the tank side and I'm not even sure how it is working.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks