Pressure drops quick

Users who are viewing this thread

PanteraMatt

Reaction score
I noticed the pressure in my home would run fine then drop and stay that way I checked the pressure and it was too high. I adjusted the pressure switch and now it kick off at 60 but when running water itll drop down a little then drop fast below 40. Also now my pump needs to run the entire time Im running water and as soon as I turn the wateer off it stops. I checked air pressure in the tank and its at 38psi.

Reach4

Reaction score
I suspect you have a well. If you have city water, read no further. Where is your pump? Above ground?

You say " but when running water itll drop down a little"... do you mean from 60 down to 40 the pressure drops slowly?

The pressure switch should click on at 40 PSI... Does it? If your pump is above ground, and your pressure switch clicks on at 40, drop your precharge pressure to 36. Always set the air precharge pressure with the water pressure = zero.

This would normally have gone in the https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?forums/pumps-and-tanks-well-forum-blog-water-is-life.4/ forum.

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Fluctuating pressure could be the result of fault Pressure Reducing Valve (PRV) or damage expansion tank.

With a functioning PRV, your pressure is constant (with small variations, depending on your pipes and water use). Then you match the tank pressure to the house pressure. If your tank leaks, it's damaged.

PanteraMatt

Reaction score
Above ground pump. I adjusted the air in my tank as I was told it might be overfilled and now the water will flow fines for a little then drop down to a trickle til the pump kicks back on

PanteraMatt

Reaction score
Another odd thing is when i drain the water from the tank the gauge wont drop below 30 psi even though the tank feels and sounds empty.

Reach4

Reaction score
Another odd thing is when i drain the water from the tank the gauge wont drop below 30 psi even though the tank feels and sounds empty.
The water pressure gauge? Get a new water pressure gauge. They are cheap and readily available locally. You could also get a water pressure gauge with a garden hose thread. This could serve to check the first gauge, and it could be used to look for pressure drops while water is flowing.

If you mean the air pressure gauge, then that is the one that should be set to read 36, with the water all drained, with your jet pump if you use a 40-60 pressure switch.

PanteraMatt

Reaction score
I just ordered new ones. My pressure switch is actually a 20/40 that I had adjusted up to 40/60 but was told thats not good so I ordered the correct one.

Reach4

Reaction score
Also clean the inside of the nipple and tee that connect the pressure gauge and pressure switch to the tank tee.

Adjusting a pressure switch to a different pressure is usally fine, but having the new one, you know it will be clean.

Last edited:

PanteraMatt

Reaction score
Ok heres an update. So I put the new 40/60 switch and gauge on and noticed there was a TON of blockage. Cleaned it all out and I couldnt get the pump to prime. I finally noticed the nipple attached to the line from the well was almost completely broke off so I went and bought a new one long with a new drain back valve as that was gunked up bad also. So now it wont fill the tank all the way. It puts about 5 gallons but the pressure gauge only shows 20 psi and the tank feels empty but I can drain about 5-7 gallons out of it but the pump wont kick off. I took a shower with the pump running and I had the best pressure Ive ever had but as of right now I have to turn the pump on and off. Any suggestions?

Reach4

Reaction score
New pressure gauge and switch; clean the path better between the pressure gauge and pressure tank, and pressure switch and pressure tank. Consider posting a photo showing the connection to the pressure tank, the gauge, and the switch.

Reach4

Reaction score
From the pump. So the path from the pump to the pressure tank would seem to not be blocked.

Yet that pressure does not seem to be making it to the pressure switch or pressure gauge.

PanteraMatt

Reaction score
cleaned the line going to the switch and same thing. It wont build pressure enough to turn the tum off yet I have great pressure in the house.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are saying that when the breaker is on, the pump runs. The new pressure gauge reads 20 PSI. So if the pressure switch is looking at 20 PSI also, you would expect the pressure switch to stay on.

Get a pressure gauge with a garden hose thread. Put it on the drain tap that is often at the base of the pressure tank, a laundry tap, or the water heater drain, or a hose bib. If there is a big difference in the two pressure gauge readings, something is clogged probably.

See if you can run a wire or pipe cleaner or something through the paths.
So now it wont fill the tank all the way. It puts about 5 gallons but the pressure gauge only shows 20 psi and the tank feels empty but I can drain about 5-7 gallons out of it but the pump wont kick off.
You get about 6 gallons of water under pressure from your system after turning off the pump switch/breaker. So it seems logical that that water was in the pressure tank and is being delivered from there.

Try knocking on the bottom part of the pressure tank. You might be able to tell difference vs when you knock vs higher up.

Last edited:

PanteraMatt

Reaction score
The tank is definitly not filling all the way as i can shake it and its not heavy enough to have 35 gallons in it. I just dont understand why the pressure gauge doesnt show higher than 10psi but my home has great pressure. The water will also flow for a while with the pump turned off which tells me theres a decent amount in the holding tank.

Reach4

Reaction score
A 35 gallon precharged pressure tank in good condition should never have a lot more than 7 gallons of water in it, and certainly not as much as 10 gallons. http://www.amtrol.com/media/documents/wellxtrol/MC7025_04_14_WXTsizingCard.pdf

Concentrate on getting your pressure switch and pressure gauge seeing the actual water pressure for the house. Is it clear to you that that is not happening now?

Consider getting a whole-house cartridge water filter. That would usually go after the whole house backwashing filter if you have one. A cartridge filter should never precede the pressure switch or pressure tank.

Since you know your well produces some gunk, I think it is good to drain the pressure tank periodically from the drain spigot at the tank tee to get rid of some gunk. You may consider using a hose to put the gunk out in the bushes. You could combine that with an operation to flush your water heater.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks