Power to well pump, but no water

Users who are viewing this thread

Seth416

Reaction score
I'm reading 240 volts on multimeter at the well head and pressure switch, but pump does not run. Does this mean it's time to pull the pump, or is there something else to troubleshoot?

Reach4

Reaction score
Probably.
  1. Did the pump ever work?
  2. How many wires go down the well? ... or is there a control box?
  3. How much current is on the non-green wires going down the well? Use a clamp-around ammeter.

Seth416

Reaction score
Probably.
  3. How much current is on the non-green wires going down the well? Use a clamp-around ammeter.
Yes...an older pump...25+ years
2 wires + ground go down the well.
Reading just over 240v...didn't know if there was something in between box and well that would affect current.

Thanks

Last edited:

Seth416

Reaction score
Probably.
Gonna call in the pros if there is not an obvious next step. Had several people tell me I'm out of luck at this point.

Reach4

Reaction score
Reading just over 240v...didn't know if there was something in between box and well
Are you referring to the pressure switch as a box? Because if you have a box after the pressure switch, that would probably be a control box for a 3-wire pump.. The start capacitor replaced might fix it, but a new box would make sense. But if there is a bad start cap, there would usually be a lot of current, and the breaker would usually trip.

In the old days, they did not run a ground wire to the well for a 3-wire pump. They felt that the steel casing made a really good ground.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks