Power but not running

Users who are viewing this thread

David Heide

Reaction score
I had my 1/2 horse FW shallow well jet pump running exactly 1 day before it quit. It's wired directly to a 20 amp breaker and there's juice running all the way up to the back of the pump. I don't have a voltage meter so I can't tell how much but I am getting the 110 light up on my probes by touching the green ground and the black on the back of the pump. Flipped the breaker on/off a few times and absolutely nothing. Was going on when I opened a spigot and shutting off when I closed them before it quit. If the battery looking thing is the capacitor on top of the board with all the wires on back of the pump, it has a flat white oval dot on one side that's not raised or yellowed. I'm running 10 gauge wire from the power source to the pressure check and then the pump - all in all somewhere between 100-150 ft. Is it possible I'm not getting enough power? I bumped into a wire in the back when I was trying to get it going 3 times within about 5 minutes and got shocked. If this was 20 amps at 110 straight from the circuit board, wouldn't the shock have knocked me for a loop the first time? Any input would be greatly appreciated and yes, I promise to be much more careful in the future.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't have a voltage meter so I can't tell how much but I am getting the 110 light up on my probes by touching the green ground and the black on the back of the pump. Flipped the breaker on/off a few times and absolutely nothing.
You really should get a multimeter with a clamp-around ammeter feature. It will have wire test leads with probes to measure voltage. It can clamp around one wire to measure current. You may be able to borrow one from a friend, and your friend might help take the readings.

Is your pump wired like this? The M represents the pump motor.
index.php

If so, what voltage do you have between terminal 1 and 4?
What voltage do you have between terminal 2 and 3?

David Heide

Reaction score
I got a meter and have 115v at the pump and 115v at the pressure switch line in (black and green/ground) and line out(black and green/ground). I didn't try taking a reading with black and white on either side. Ok just did. A little higher- about 125v - its an analogue. Looks like just within 10% of 115.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I got a meter and have 115v at the pump and 115v at the pressure switch line in (black and green/ground) and line out(black and green/ground). I didn't try taking a reading with black and white on either side. Ok just did. A little higher- about 125v - its an analogue. Looks like just within 10% of 115.
When people don't say they have a voltage between two terminals, I am afraid they might be measuring a voltage with respect to ground. You don't want to do that.

How about a photo of the terminals on your pressure switch.

Is the selector in the back of the motor set for 115V or 230V?
YES, answer that! Maybe show that selector area.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks