Possible to drain through vent

Users who are viewing this thread

aad7122

Reaction score
I'm looking to move my washer and add a utility sink into my garage. Can I tap into the vent line (see pic). There is a sink, toilet and shower on the opposite side of the wall. Will I have venting issues? Any help would be appreciated.
I talked to a plumber last week and shared this pic and said it wouldn't be an issue but said it would cost $2250.

Attachments

• InkedDrains2.jpg
    InkedDrains2.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 75

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could tap into the horizontal vent line for venting fixtures whose flood rim is at least 6" below it, but you can't tap into a vertical vent line to add drainage for a laundry sink and washer.

If the vertical ABS shown is, say, the lav drain, and if nothing in the bathroom is wet vented by that lav, and if the drain portion of the vertical line is large enough (2"), then you can add your drainage to the drain portion of that vertical. But on the other hand, if the lav drain and vent are both 2", there's a good chance the lav drain is wet venting the WC.

Otherwise you'll need to go down below to find an appropriate place to tie in your drainage. Basically anywhere the drain is large enough and isn't a wet vent for a downstream bathroom fixture.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
You wouldnt meet code its a pretty blatent disregard sounds like below slab is a 3 inch santee or low heel outlet 90 picking up the toilet.
It might work ok or might not but its a bit shoddy for sure I am guessing a bit on how its plumbed , but no guess about it being improper and not code. changes scope of work a lot to have to crack slab and bring a new line up.
Im not clear where your washer is now and its possible I have this wrong is the washing machine very nearby like a few feet left or right on same wall?

aad7122

Reaction score
You could tap into the horizontal vent line for venting fixtures whose flood rim is at least 6" below it, but you can't tap into a vertical vent line to add drainage for a laundry sink and washer.

If the vertical ABS shown is, say, the lav drain, and if nothing in the bathroom is wet vented by that lav, and if the drain portion of the vertical line is large enough (2"), then you can add your drainage to the drain portion of that vertical. But on the other hand, if the lav drain and vent are both 2", there's a good chance the lav drain is wet venting the WC.

Otherwise you'll need to go down below to find an appropriate place to tie in your drainage. Basically anywhere the drain is large enough and isn't a wet vent for a downstream bathroom fixture.

Cheers, Wayne
No it's on another wall. The other side of the wall is a sink, toilet and shower. To the far left you can't see it but the plumbing from upstairs comes down on the same wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks