Polyethelene tubing adapter for Water Softener drain

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Kevin121, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Kevin121

Kevin121 Member

I am looking to run Polyethelene tubing for a water softener drain. The Softener has a 3/4" Male NPT plastic connection and can use either 5/8" OD or 3/4" NPT. I am wondering what type of fitting I need to install at the drain connection to run the Polyethene tubing? What size tubing would you recommend to go with this? Thanks in advance!

2. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

Actually I like CPVC for the drain looks nice and straight lays down well and doesn't react with the waste. I think 1/2 inch (5/8 od ) works good.
    Should you stay with your choice a push fit or compression fitting should work

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Kevin121

Kevin121 Member

This is more of a temporary location where I am draining it for now, that is what I was looking to use the flexible Polyethlene tubing instead...

5. Bannerman

Bannerman Well-Known Member

• What is the water softener Capacity?
    • What is the drain line run distance?
    • Will the drain line run up overhead or will it be run at a height that is equal to or below the height of the softener's drain connection?

6. Kevin121

Kevin121 Member

The softener capacity is 30,300 grains, the temporary drain line now will be about 25 feet and will run vertically about 5 feet. I'm just struggling finding a fitting with a female 3/4" NPT end and barbed 1/2" (ID) end. My understanding is that the ID on the tubing needs to match the size of the barbs on the drawing fitting...

7. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  8. Jeff H Young

why must you use a barbed fitting? you need 3/4 female x whatever pipe you connect . shouldn't be hard to find

9. Kevin121

Kevin121 Member

My understanding is that a Barb fitting should be used with the Poly tubing.

10. Jeff H Young

Well you stated you wanted to use Polyethylene What I see on that is a compression or a push fit . If you changed your mind and are using polyvinyl a soft hose but called tubing a barb is often used. size of tubing recommendation follow instructions that came with your particular softener .

11. Kevin121

Kevin121 Member

Sorry about that, yes I meant flexible Polyethylene tubing. I can only find fittings with Male ends on it , and need one with female 3/4 inch NPT for the one end and barbed on the other (or a female coupling perhaps. Also is FIP (iron pipe) threads equivalent to NPT?

12. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

13. Jeff H Young

sure making this hard put a 3/4 coupling on the end. is there a reason that wont work? go to hardware and buy whatever fits. besides you said this is a temporary connection.

Reach4 likes this.
  14. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

If he gets a reducing coupling, he can use the more common 1/2 inch thread.
    [​IMG]