Plumbing "Saga"

Users who are viewing this thread

Catbeckster

Reaction score
I don't think you can make that assumption. It could be a partial vacuum, but not water.

How long does that water line stay at the level in your photo? It's a transient condition, right?
Sink not in use, it stays like that. After use, returns to that. During washer drainage, water pulls out with much bubbling activity. When washer drainage is complete, starts to fill back up.

Reach4

Reaction score
If the trap arm is full, then Jeff probably has it figured out. You probably have a drainage blockage rather than a vent problem.
I suspect a blockage or septic issue (getting full)

I expect your transparent p-trap came with a transparent trap arm. I would put it in.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Million ways to do this I suppose eliminating the vent and putting an AAV on is one way of testing . not my way of doing it but if it fixes it you're good. if not then you wasted a couple dollars . You're positive its draining properly then I guess that's the only possibility. I'm not there checking it and got just a little doubt but hoping you're right

Catbeckster

Reaction score
million was to do this I suppose eliminating the vent and putting a aav on is one way of testing . not my way of doing it but if it fixes it your good. if not then you wasted a couple dollars . your possitive its draining properly then I guess thats the only possability. Im not there checking it and got just a little doubt but hoping your right
I've called a plumber. I hate to give in with no stopped up drains, and just gurgling. But the notion of water being in trap arm is make my me doubt myself. There was not a transparent arm. I hope the first line of my post doesn't come to pass.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
water can be in a trap arm if 1 its plugged 2 there is so much back fall that it fills up with water 3 there is a stoppage somewhere else. in addition specifically a plugged vent will not cause water to stand in a trap arm.
What you have going on isn't normal so there is a problem . I wouldn't say leave well enough alone . but some people can put up with more than others . And I don't trust water building up like that but depending on condition of property and owners pickiness wood floors or upscale house mold or water damage can come into play if its ignored. So its kind of an individual thing , I'd recommend getting to the bottom of it and being hands on will give you better understanding what's going on

Catbeckster

Reaction score
water can be in a trap arm if 1 its plugged 2 there is so much back fall that it fills up with water 3 there is a stoppage somewhere else. in addition specifically a plugged vent will not cause water to stand in a trap arm.
What you have going on isn't normal so there is a problem . I wouldn't say leave well enough alone . but some people can put up with more than others . And I don't trust water building up like that but depending on condition of property and owners pickiness wood floors or upscale house mold or water damage can come into play if its ignored. So its kind of an individual thing , I'd recommend getting to the bottom of it and being hands on will give you better understanding what's going on
Jeff, I appreciate your support with this issue. I am learning some things I didn't realize. As a side note, I can somewhat see in the trap arm with flashlight. Or rather yet, see thru it. I don't think it is full of water, just right up to the bend. Another thing I noticed tonight which explains the ticking noise, is every minute or so, a bubble forms. Which makes the echo in kitchen sink thru drain. Do I think there is a problem here? You bet. Has there been a host of knuckleheads in this house in the last last three years? Yes! Hurricane Harvey wrecked us with flood water. Then 2 years later, Tropical Storm Imelda flooded us again. Only about two feet of water each time but...so, tub was removed replaced with shower, new a.c. (yes there is another drain). Sinks and cabinetry pulled etc. PLumbing vent broken, I WILL GET TO THE BOTTOM OF IT! I am process eliminating, and my usual overthinking. I don't think I have a major problem. But I have a problem. I am a 57 year old female (not a cop out, just a disclosure) and I am pretty much going to tackle this myself since I did not get a call back from plumbing company. I think that is the 4th one that's a no show. I know this house literally inside and out, because of two floods. I would like to have a professional, but they need to be "on spot". It'll take me a few days to work this out, but I will come back and tell of my results. P.S. I think it's the plumbing ventI think there is crap down in it. Like roofing debris, pine needles, insulation, maybe a goblin. Or something those damn squirrels did.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Catbeckster, well we aren't all programed to do everything and sorry to hear all you been through, but the good thing is you've learned/learning a lot, that is valuable and gives you some power. you can do a lot more than my 23 year old son ha ha! its really hard to explain where to look I guess it could be the vent an AAV can go right under the sink. will water travel down the vent at all? problem is some of those vents could have several fixture connected and one branch could drain and another not.
Don't have any specific things for you to do at this point

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks