Plumbing run through kitchen bulkhead

Users who are viewing this thread

Ryan Bennett

Rybenn
Reaction score
Hi all-

We are remodeling our kitchen and are about to start the actual work in the coming weeks. The project is being managed by a kitchen designer and all work to be contracted to professionals. I am starting to do some of the demo work myself, which now includes taking a peek inside the bulkhead above our existing cabinets. At the start of the planning, our designer & contractor both recognized that there was a very real possibility that there is electrical and/or plumbing hidden way in those bulkheads. We are getting cabinets that go pretty close to the ceiling, so the plumbing that I have found becomes a problem. On the second story above the kitchen there is a guest bath and master bath that are both tied into the horizontal waste pipe that spans the length of the bulkhead, sloped from right to left in the photo. There are 45's and 90's coming down from above beneath the floor joists. I have some ideas in my head from research, but wondering what the play here might be since my contractor has not been able to come down to see in person yet. Understood that any option will come with added cost, but we are really only willing to spend a moderate amount for the extra work. Ideally looking for the safest and most logical way to do this.

Drilling through joists? Hoping this is last resort, and I am not even sure we can do this to code based on the diameter of the waste pipe and the depth of the joist (2x10).

Run piping through top of the cabinets and hide them. Not opposed to this since we wouldn't be losing much in the way of reachable space. Still might require raising the piping as close to the joists as possible, but I am not sure the codes and rules with drops/slopes other than the 1/4" per foot of span. This option would present a problem with the area above the sink, but could get creative with a smaller bulkhead dressed with crown? We will have crown at the top of all cabinets regardless.

Hoping someone has some experience running through this scenario and can offer some helpful info!

Attachments

• Run.jpg
    Run.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 148
  • 90's.jpg
    90's.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 121

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The least intrusive route would be to cut the pipes shorter and run everthing as tight to the joists as possible. Another route might be to drop everything down to the vertical exterior wall and connect them to the drain in a crawl space if present. Very likely you won't have the ability to get a 3.5" OD pipe through the joists.

Looks like you may be able to gain up to 5 inches of space.

Also, the cabinets could be designed shorter with a filler piece on top to make them look full height.

Ryan Bennett

Rybenn
Reaction score
Thanks TR...This was my preferred route, I just didn't know if there are any special codes or regulation in terms of amount of slope or drop from a toilet/tub/sink above or the way the elbows are. I'm not a professional but on paper, it looks like the pipe can at least be raised as you suggest and still maintain the 1/4" of slope/foot needed.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Custom cabinets may allow a soffit built into the cabinet as opposed to using a framed and drywall soffit

Ryan Bennett

Rybenn
Reaction score
We did order custom cabinets, they are already being made. They are 36 inch with crown. The cabinets ordered so not specifically have a built in soffit, but I guess the only option would be to run the pipe through the cabinets somehow and use a filler and crown to dress the tops.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
You had a remodel company? They should have advised the soffit might be there for accomadation of trade work. Im hoping everything goes with no issue as planned

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks