plumbing and electrical

Users who are viewing this thread

jodenmel1

Reaction score
Next to my loafing shed there is water for my horses and electrical to the barn. When I was digging in an area close by I found that the water line and electricial are within about 6" of each other. The electrical isn't even in pipe just gray 14/2. Is it ok like that?

Jodenmel1

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I do not know about the 6" separation or how deep things should be, but the grey wire is likely "UF" for "underground feed" and is meant to be buried without conduit. Also, it is probably actually 14-2 w/ground UF. If you might take a look at either termination point, you should be able to see it is similar to Romex but with the ground wire actually molded-in between the black and white wires rather than simply laying between them with everything sharing a single wrapper.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Cable rated for underground looks like standard romex on the outside, except for the color, but inside there is no paper filler or voids. If you can't read the labeling you can easily tell the difference, because the cover insulation should completely fill the spaces between the wires and ground.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks