Plumbing a house on stilts

Users who are viewing this thread

milz45

Reaction score
I'm renovating an old "camp" on stilts in rural WV. It'll be finished as a full-time house. I'm looking for advice on plumbing the house so it doesn't freeze. It has a well. I'm planning to run the supply line up from the ground in an insulated chase with heat tape, and a freeze protection valve. When it comes to running the lines from room to room, we have full access underneath the house of course. What's the best option here? I"m going to insulate the underside of the house and then cover with plywood. Would that offer enough protection for the house plumbing, or should I build a large horizontal chase with heat tape there as well? PEX or copper? Thoughts?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Piping well within an insulated envelope should be okay as long as heat is maintained. PEX is more resistant to freeze damage but if you plan on draining down the pipes, then copper is sometimes easier to run with grade for that purpose. Not saying you can't drain PEX, but it would take some planning to prevent sags that would hold water.
But then if you're not draining, that hardly matters.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks