Please Help Me Earn My Badge

Users who are viewing this thread

Momster

Reaction score
Hi!

I am part of a scouting organization, and I was hoping I could get some questions answered for a badge. I need to know what the educational requirements/training for a job as a plumber are, what jobs are available in that career field, as well as a general description of a plumber's job.

Thank you!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
I had to do a career paper when I was in HS, 1965-1968, and I had to go to the library for this kind of information. Now with one google search I found this web site.

Here is Alabama's website for Alabama Plumbers & Gas Fitters Examining Board.
http://pgfb.state.al.us/Default.aspx

This is the department that sets the requirements, fee's and runs the state exams for licensing. Most trades it is five years of working as an apprentice under a licensed tradesman. While working as an apprentice you usually must take certified courses and exams before coming a full journeyman. This varies by states or local jurisdictions.

Jobs as "plumbers" for Alabama are listed under the "Requirements and Fees" on their website. Plumbing is a very wide field, from someone who does residential work to working on high rise buildings. A 40 story build plumbs a lot different than a two story home. Get your mechanical engineering degree and you can become an engineer for plumbing system designs. Even for residential homes that are to be built must have a plumbing design. Just think what it takes to plumb airport terminals with buildings that are 20-30 acres or more?

Fitter30

Reaction score
A union plumber in the United Association has a 5 year apprenticeship before becoming a journeyman.
http://ua.org/apprenticeship
http://nyspipetrades.org/apprenticeship.aspx
Plumbing can vary from installing and servicing houses to commercial building. Working with different types of pipe copper, pvc,cpvc, cast iron and can run into all types of pipe used in chemical to medical labs. Any drinking water, any toilets from a nuclear power plant to a drinking fountain is part of a plumbers job. To protect the public from contaminated water by installing and servicing backflow devices so that non potable water can't flow into potable.
In any construction trade there is on going education through out their career. Materials, tools, codes and safety equipment/ education is constantly improving.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Plumbers often start out as an apprentice, then maybe a journeyman, and eventually, may earn a master plumber's license. How much experience and the details of the training and time on the job experience will vary based on exactly where you live. There are different areas of knowledge required, depending on where and what you want to work on from residential, commercial, drainage, supply, heating, etc.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some go through a United Association union aprenticeship, Some go through a non union aprenticeship, and Some Many in fact go through no formal training, which is tough because you have no teacher or mentor but some get by and do become good in the trade nonetheless.
Also withen the same union are Pipefitters and Pipe Welders. Some of plumbing and pipefitting are very closely related facinating fields both. Not nessesarily the easiest path but those dedicated can earn what I would call a good wage. Construction my favorite but many like service work doing repairs and can make a quicker buck . Also opportunity to become your own boss with your own company is an attraction

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks