Please help! Low pressure sprinkler zone. Valve is good

Users who are viewing this thread

Thomas Wright

Reaction score
I have a sprinkler zone that has low pressure. I've bypassed the valve and observed the same problem, so it's probably not the valve.

The weird thing is, if I manually pull the plunger fully up on the first sprinkler head in the line, this first head then regains the normal water spray pressure. Not only that, but then the rest of the sprinklers down the line all get improved spray pressure as well.

But if I let go of this plunger, it falls down to about half height, and every sprinkler in the line all start to lose pressure again.

I'm at a loss as what to do next. Is this a leak? a clog? I don't see a puddle anywhere, so to find a leak might mean digging up the entire line.

Thanks in advance!

HudsonDIY

Reaction score
I think my first move would be to disassemble that head and see what manner of madness is going on inside.

You say "plunger", is this a normal popup spray head?

HudsonDIY

Reaction score
The top of the head screws off. You'll likely have to at least partially dig it up so you can hold on to the body while unscrewing the top.

There's really nothing complicated about them. Pretty much just the popup shaft and a spring to retract the shaft when the water supply is turned off.

Unscrew the top and check out what's going on in there. Once loose the top is going to spring up due to the spring tension.

You can turn the zone on with the head apart to flush out any garbage in the line. Clean everything out and screw it back together.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Completely remove the pop up sprinkler down to the 1/2 nipple. Turn on the water to flush the pipe and replace the $3-$4 pop up. If you're getting water from a lake you be surprised what gets sucked up into the system. Under the nozzle there is a filter that sits on top of the riser.

sprinkler12c.gif
popup.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks