Please Critique DWV Mock-Up

Users who are viewing this thread

jacksmith7

Reaction score
Please review the attached picture of what I mocked up for our pole barn bathroom and let me know if it is correct. Thanks for any help/advice.

Attachments

• Mockup4_annotated.jpg
    Mockup4_annotated.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 519

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nope. The vent for the shower must continue to rise vertically until it is 6" above the flood level rim of the highest fixture served by the horizontal branch. So about 42" before you can go horizontal. You cannot dump the washer into the horizontal being used as the wet vent for the sink and toilet.

jacksmith7

Reaction score
Nope. The vent for the shower must continue to rise vertically until it is 6" above the flood level rim of the highest fixture served by the horizontal branch. So about 42" before you can go horizontal. You cannot dump the washer into the horizontal being used as the wet vent for the sink and toilet.
I'm not sure I understand. The shower vent would continue to run along the ground until it reaches a point (the wall) behind the toilet and then go vertical through the roof. The stub of 2" pipe sticking out of the fitting in this mock-up is just to show the direction the vent is running. The washer will be dry-vented.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
The washer may be dry vented but if you drain it into the lav vent, the toilet won't be, although if your code is IPC, that's would still be ok.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Arm the sink into the shower vent and you get rid of the "horizontal vent" problem and do not have to roll it up on a 45 unless you want to. The washer CANNOT be "dry vented" above a "wet vented" sink drain. However "I" would connect the shower between the toilet and washer drain, otherwise the "Venturi effect" from the washer drain could siphon the toilet.

jacksmith7

Reaction score
Arm the sink into the shower vent and you get rid of the "horizontal vent" problem and do not have to roll it up on a 45 unless you want to. The washer CANNOT be "dry vented" above a "wet vented" sink drain. However "I" would connect the shower between the toilet and washer drain, otherwise the "Venturi effect" from the washer drain could siphon the toilet.
I appreciate all the input on this, and I apologize if I seem dense, or have created confusion. Attached is a rough sketch that I hope will better illustrate what I want to do.

The vent going to the shower drain will run under the slab until it reaches the plumbing wall and then become vertical and go through the roof of the pole barn.

The drain and vent for the lav/washer will run under the slab and become vertical at the plumbing wall. It will then connect to the shower vent 9 feet above the floor. The piping will be plumbed as shown in the inset image borrowed from one of Terry's posts. Would it be better to connect the lav/washer vent downstream of the shower vent?

There are no licensed plumbers in the area where our pole barn is located. No plumbing inspections are required, but we want everything to follow the code.

Thank you for any additional input.

Attachments

• Bathroom Layout - Full.jpg
    Bathroom Layout - Full.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 430
Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
A dry vent is not permitted to run horizontally below the flood rim of the highest fixture served. If there were a backup, the vent would become restricted or clogged.

SHR

Reaction score
To clarify for you; do not run vents under the slab AT ALL. Vents go up from the fixture drain, not horizontal.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just curious. Where are you that there are no licensed plumbers and no inspections?

jacksmith7

Reaction score
Just curious. Where are you that there are no licensed plumbers and no inspections?
Not requiring inspections is not uncommon for many small towns in the midwest.

Thanks to comments from everyone here, I think I finally understand. I'll connect the sink to the shower vent and vent the washer by itself. The shower drain will tie in between the toilet and the washer drain.

I very much appreciate everyone's help. Thank you.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Strange, I live in a state where many of the small towns don't have plumbing inspectors but all plumbing, whether it is done by a licensed plumber or by a homeowner still needs a permit and an inspection. You get both by calling your state plumbing board. They will send a state inspector out to give you both the permit and inspection. Many times they will also give you pertinent advice also.

jacksmith7

Reaction score
I appreciate all the input on this, and I apologize if I seem dense, or have created confusion. Attached is a rough sketch that I hope will better illustrate what I want to do.

The vent going to the shower drain will run under the slab until it reaches the plumbing wall and then become vertical and go through the roof of the pole barn.

The drain and vent for the lav/washer will run under the slab and become vertical at the plumbing wall. It will then connect to the shower vent 9 feet above the floor. The piping will be plumbed as shown in the inset image borrowed from one of Terry's posts. Would it be better to connect the lav/washer vent downstream of the shower vent?

There are no licensed plumbers in the area where our pole barn is located. No plumbing inspections are required, but we want everything to follow the code.

Thank you for any additional input.
Strange, I live in a state where many of the small towns don't have plumbing inspectors but all plumbing, whether it is done by a licensed plumber or by a homeowner still needs a permit and an inspection. You get both by calling your state plumbing board. They will send a state inspector out to give you both the permit and inspection. Many times they will also give you pertinent advice also.
Plumbing and electrical are included with the building permit.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ok, that's pretty normal but you need to call the state inspectors to look at your work. Otherwise, if there is a problem in the future and you don't have a signed off permit, your insurance won't cover the damages.

jacksmith7

Reaction score
Ok, that's pretty normal but you need to call the state inspectors to look at your work. Otherwise, if there is a problem in the future and you don't have a signed off permit, your insurance won't cover the damages.
Great point...thank you.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I doubt the State of Georgia would send someone on a 400 mile round trip to inspect a slab down in Climax. There's plenty of remote areas in this state and surrounding states. Heck of a lot more out west.
The good thing is, people are posting questions on this site because they want to get it right even if it's never blessed by the government. Best way to make sure the job is done right is to hire a licensed tradesman and have the job inspected by an expert. That being said, you can't legislate craftsmanship, and you shouldn't use scare tactics on people who are trying to do it right within the conditions in their locale.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
What he is describing is fairly normal. I had a friend building a house in an area like that without permits or inspections, but was told that they were expanding their coverage radius and after a certain date, any additions to the original design would have to be permitted and inspected. He was building the house out of epoxied wood chip 8x8x16 blocks which might NOT have been an approved material if a permit had been required.

Asktom

Reaction score
Where I am in Montana the only permits/inspections required are for wells & septic systems.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think if you check with your states plumbing board or it's equivalent, that inspections and permits are pretty much required everywhere whether your town has an inspector or not. A quick look at the administrative rules for the state of Montana clearly states that all plumbing must be permitted. Again, if you don't have a local board or inspectors then you go to the state. They will issue the permit and inspect the work.

There is a lot of confusion on DIY sits about permitting and inspection and the statement "no permit is required" comes up often. 99% of the time you will find that statement to be untrue. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Last edited:

Asktom

Reaction score
The law is as the law is inforced. If there are laws regulating building outside of town around here they are univerally ignored and the county sanitarian isn't turning anyone in when he checks the septic.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks