Plastic Piece on inlet pipe

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by jdon88, Aug 21, 2010.

  1. jdon88

    jdon88 New Member

    Jul 7, 2010
    Pottstown PA
    What is the purpose of the plastic piece with rubber disc inside the inlet and outlet pipes? This is on a new Bradford-White heater.
  2. Jerome2877

    Jerome2877 In the Trades

    Aug 25, 2009
    Vancouver Island , BC
    They are check valves to stop hot water migration through the pipes. They can cause issues as they can get build up inside them and cause flow problems. You could remove them if ya like.
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. Mike Monett

    Mike Monett New Member

    Jul 10, 2011
    It might be a dielectric union to prevent corrosion due to galvanic current between dissimilar metals. Check this article for more information:
    "Using A Dielectric Union To Join Galvanized And Copper Water Supply Pipes"

    Mike Monett
  5. jadnashua

    jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

    Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    The disk means it is at a minimum, a heat trap. It may also be a dielectric union, depending on what it is made of. Make sure that they are used in the proper location (hot/cold) as if swapped, they'll tend to block flow when you turn on a valve.
Similar Threads: Plastic Piece
Forum Title Date
Water Heater Forum, Tanks Plastic Sleeve in Dielectric Union Mar 30, 2015
Water Heater Forum, Tanks Melted plastic and now popping noises Dec 18, 2012

Share This Page