pipes hum... any idea why?

Users who are viewing this thread

rkm

Reaction score
I live in a townhouse and the pipes have started to "hum"... they never did before. Incidentally, the noise began after a plumber came to fix a toilet that was running. Any idea waht could be causing it??

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
When he shut off the water supply to the toilet to do the repair, the washer in that valve may have become loose or dislodged ( happens a lot due to the age and non-use of the valve), and this can cause noises when water flows through it.

rkm

Reaction score
any DIY solution?

Thanks so much, jimbo!!
do you think there is an easy DYI fix to stop the noise?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
humm

If you know that the toilet fill valve is totaly shutting off, you can tell, when it's humming and you lift the float in the tank and the humm goes away.
I think you could check the toilet shut off. Turn the house water off, relieve the pressure by opening a faucet. Put a pan under the valve in question and turn the hex bonnet counter clockwise and turn the handle and stem to the left, till the whole asse. comes out. There should be a washer on the end of the stem. Also look real good inside that opening to see if there is anything loose inside, like pieces of the washer .

c

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks