Pipe wrap and sealant for stainless fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

DStyduhar

Reaction score
Three questions for you gents...

- What tape do you guys recommend for wire to poly drop pipe? Seen a few recommendations for Scotch 33 but we have a pump house nearby so maybe they have something better? Also seen where guys use tape and wire ties, haha.

- When threading two stainless npt fittings together, do you have any special teflon tape or dope? Not sure if you should even use a dope in the well at all.

- Is there a torque spec on stainless hose clamps on poly pipe over barbs? I have dogged down many hose clamps with a nut driver over the years but the hose clamps I bought were specifically sold as being for a well so maybe there is a torque spec and/or driver folks use for consistency. Sort of silly but figured I would ask.

thanks!

Drew

Reach4

Reaction score
60 inch pounds = 5 ft-lbs is the torque number I have seen.

Reach4

Reaction score
Any more info on here on tape? How about teflon vs dope in the well? Anything special with stainless
PTFE (Teflon) tape can be used on threaded fittings. Not to cover the outside of stuff. So you were talking about the barb and maybe nipple between a pump and to an extra check valve near the pump.

Incidentally, the barbed fittings often use the word "insert" in the description.

DStyduhar

Reaction score
Sorry, should have been clearer...

Teflon vs dope on threaded connections. Sounds like teflon is the way to go but I have seen some teflon tapes make specifically for stainless fittings

Which tape to fasten pump wire to drop pipe? Someone in another thread mentioned Scotch 33.

thanks,

Drew

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Regular Teflon will work. Stainless to Stainless threads will gall. The tape or dope lubricate to keep it from galling. Dope with anti-seize or Teflon is fine.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
Sorry, should have been clearer...

Teflon vs dope on threaded connections. Sounds like teflon is the way to go but I have seen some teflon tapes make specifically for stainless fittings

Which tape to fasten pump wire to drop pipe? Someone in another thread mentioned Scotch 33.

thanks,

Drew

They sell 10 mil, 2" pvc pipe tape at plumbing supply houses, that's what I use.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks