Pipe freeze protection cable

Users who are viewing this thread

dave1909

Reaction score
Hello ,
I need some advice,
I will install a pipe freeze protection cable on my pipe.I will like to know your opinion on the best place to put the cable heat thermostat.In the installation instruction we can read" the thermostat should be placed on the coldest end of the pipe". The problem is that if I put the thermostat
where my pipe froze last year (see the picture to know where) ... this portion of the pipe will not be heat , so this portion of the pipe will retain cold and never been heat...
so my pipe had chance to freeze again next winter.
I'm confused .... where is the best place to put the thermostat if you look at my plan?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
The spot you have marked might be the lowest part that froze, but everything above that would have frozen before that even though it might have thawed before you began digging down to the part that was still frozen. Placing your thermostat at the frost line (the deepest spot where the ground freezes) would assure the lowest possible spot could not freeze, but freezing would actually begin above that point and work its way down...and I think that is what you are concerned about (just as I would be). So, I would place the thermostsat just above ground level (where freezing air would find it right away) and then be sure the heat tape began at the frost line and went all the way to the floor with pipe and tape all nicely wrapped with insulation.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Keep in mind that insulation alone will not keep the pipes from freezing. Insulation around the heat tape will slow the heat loss from the tape. That's why you need both heat tape and insulation.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not all heat tape can be buried in insulation...read the instructions carefully, or risk either burning out the cable or burning down the trailer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks